Rolling resistance of tyres website.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had never really thought about rolling resistence of road bike tyres before.

The only thing I had only ever considered briefly was the weight of tyres. Even then, it was only while trying to decide whether or not to put a tyre on the back wheel that would be more resistant to punctures.

I came by this tyre review site that tests rolling resistance of bike tyres, and the results of RR are displayed in watts.

There is also other interesting data and comparisons between different tyres brands

I found it to be of interest.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think quite a few of us are aware, it's a useful site when choosing tyres.

MikeG

Guru
In case anyone is confused by the numbers.......

The lower the number, the more likely you are to end up in a ditch if you hit a patch of dampness on the road.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The lower the number [rolling resistance in watts], the more likely you are to end up in a ditch if you hit a patch of dampness on the road.
Resurrecting this from February.
Please explain, Mike (unless it was a joke), why a tyre with lower rolling resistance will have less grip on a damp road (than a similar road tyre with similar rubber inflated to the same pressure).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The pressures used are quite low. I like tyres to be just below the pressure at which the back wheel literally bounces over bumps. I've had snakebite punctures at quite high pressures - the last one was a rapid front tyre deflation coming down from Uffington White Horse, and the tyre had been inflated to 110psi just before the ride. Not nice.

42486751060_fa0de2de32_z.jpg 20180827_065711 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not clear what you mean. The testing is done at 60psi right up to 120psi and the ranking list is based on 100psi.
Hope you survived your rapid front tyre deflation without injury. I didn't.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/big-offs.224746/post-4987009
I did - only just, as there's a crossroads at the bottom and I could only use the rear brake. Bum hanging off the back of the saddle and trying not to lock it up.

The Fortezzas I use have a minimum pressure higher than some racing tyres' maximum pressure. I usually run the rear at 130psi and it's rated for 165psi. Schwalbe Duranos in the same 23mm size are rated for only 110psi and really do blow off at about 120psi.

Top Bottom