Rome to Home 2015 Route!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintonbina

Über Member
Well, I have finally sorted out the route and booked all the hotels so fingers crossed 21 of us will have a lovely ride from Rome back to Bournemouth and hopefully with the wind on our backs and the sun shining every day!
Our itinerary is: September 18th Fly to Rome!
Day 1 Rome to Grosetto 118 miles. Day 2 Grosetto to Pisa 80 miles. Day 3 Pisa to Genoa 116 miles. Day 4 Genoa to Imperia 95 miles. Day 5 Imperia to Frejus 96 miles. Day 6 Frejus to Aix-en-Provence 80 miles. Day 7 Aix-en-Provence to Les Tourrettes (we will feel at home here I imagine :stop:) 110 miles, Day 8 Les Tourrettes to Lyon 88miles, Lyon to Saint-Pourcain sur Sioule 110 miles, Day 9 Saint-Pourcain sur Sioule to Chateauroux 99 miles, Day 10 Chataeuroux to Tours 80 miles, Day 11 Tours to Alencon 90 miles, Day 12 Alencon to Bayeux 89 miles, Day 13 Bayeux to Cherbourg 67 miles. Ferry back to Poole and home!
Hopefully a total of 1318 miles not including:whistle: the getting lost mileage which is inevitable with us!
If anybody has any advice for us besides assos cream application methods, I will be very grateful.
Cheers,
Tony

Just after you pass the port area out of Genoa there's a nice cycle trail that follows a disused railway line next to the sea for a few miles and avoids a few up and downs as the road winds away from the coast for a bit.

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Just after you pass the port area out of Genoa there's a nice cycle trail that follows a disused railway line next to the sea for a few miles and avoids a few up and downs as the road winds away from the coast for a bit.
Thank you Dave. I will try and find that later. The least climbing possible is always a good thing for me! Tony

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It might be worth keeping a route to the west of the Rhone in reserve working up to Les Tourrettes - the N7 is one of the few roads in the area I haven't enjoyed, as it's used as a toll-free alternative to to the A7. and so has quite a lot of fast-moving heavy traffic.

andym

Über Member
I'm not looking to promote my website, but if you're using a routeplanning site to plan your route you may be in for some nasty surprises: there are, for example, stretches of the SS1 Via Aurelia that are off-limits to bikes.

There are detailed maps and gps tracks on my site, that will show indicate the quieter/saner alternatives (where there are any):

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/lazio-coast/

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/toscana/tuscan-coast/

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/liguria/liguria-coast/

BTW the Pisa-Genova stretch is the hilliest of all in the Italian section.

Dave have you got any more information about that? I know there's the Cogoleto-Arenzano and Cogoleto-Verrazze cycleways but they're a bit of a way further on from the Genova port area.

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Thank you for your replies Brian & Andym, they are very gratefully received especially the links Andy.
Blue Hills, I didn't sort as a GPX mainly because I'm as thick as sh*t when it comes to proper technology :rolleyes: Pen & Paper (Maps) and Google Maps I'm afraid although some of my son's friends will tighten up the information onto my Garmin:becool: so I won't might not get lost!

OP
OP
wintonbina

wintonbina

Über Member
Well, we are only 36 days away from our epic ride and hopefully all 20 of us are nearly fit enough to survive the mountains :whistle:.
Can anyone recommend any good bars, restaurants and places of interest for us to visit please? Although this is going to be an intense ride, we are determined to enjoy it as much as possible as well as trying to raise £20k for my boy's foundation. Plus it'll be rude not to partake in a bit of revelry (when in Rome ^_^).
Thank you, Tony

Top Bottom