England : West Yorkshire Ronde van Calderdale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I was on it

How was it?

What was the route, I can't find a map, unless I'm missing something obvious, when I search

The husband (Ilkley CC), or one of our Radiographers rode it, & she told me, at work last night, that it ascended Lee Lane ('Shibden Wall' - goes up to Halifax ski-slope) & also climbs 'Trooper Lane' (I know that, from this, a nasty climb on foot!! 'Bluebell Trail 10 Mile' http://www.stainlandlions.com/

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I found it through a friend, there is a facebook page for it. It was as hard as rumoured I didn't complete it due to a buckled wheel . (honest) I have posted a little description on 'your ride today' it does Shibden, Troopers and 11 other cobbled climbs http://www.strava.com/activities/28..._type_map=["fitness.bikes"]&action_ref_map=[] as strava link to someone who completed it. but find it on the facebook page of the same name, they're a friendly bunch.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I would say the RdC Is a hard sportive, the cobbled climbs give it a distinct flavour and make it tough on the bike/trike. Having said that it is still only 75 miles and it all depends on your recovery rate after the climbs. I found that (I didn't complete it remember) the cobbles make the climbing harder but they don't go on for ever and on some of the gradients really add an edge. I did ride 75 miles that day and when I had got back to the campsite felt I could have still gone out and had a good ride, I took the dogs for a walk on the moors instead. I haven't ridden many sportives but find that any ride is as hard as you want to make it, that's why I took the trike. It's a good challenge and I will be back to give it a real go with slightly down-gunned gearing and up-gunned brakes. Hardest? I haven't done them all and we all have different abilities and ideas on what makes a ride hard, also it sounds like (on the other forum) some have to defend their last effort by dismissing other rides as easier. I do recommend it to anyone who likes to sweat and has a strong bike, spectacular views and a sense of achievement no matter what.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For anyone there I was at the main entrance marshalling this morning. My youngest was floating about as well.

I guess the 'Trooper' made a few walk?

It did a lot us, during the 'Bluebell 10':blush:

2014. Bluebell Trail. 2.jpg 2014. Bluebell Trail. 3.jpg 2014. Bluebell Trail. 5.jpg

Top Bottom