Roof carrier for recumbent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone know a good / cheapish roof mounted carrier capable of taking a recumbent? Specifically a HP Velotechnik streetmachine GT. It's wheelbase isn't that much bigger than my road bike, about 10mm at most. It's a single beam frame with lots of brackets and things right where a frame mount carrier supports the bike (I have one of these and it doesn't fit).

I'm thinking it's got to be a fork mount. With the seat off it would be reasonably aerodynamic.

Any recommendations for such a carrier?

Tailendman

Regular
You may get away with tyre grip carrier. Yakima and Inno do some.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I think a fork carrier with the front wheel in a wheel bag might be the better option.

I looked at the Yak in a one and it looked like the front wheel gripping loops won't adjust down to a 20" front wheel. I'm pretty certain it'll interfere with the boom and chainring.

I think there's an Atera branded fork mount carrier for £68 with free wheel bag at the roofbox company. I might just try it. Anyone know what the brand's like for quality? Can't be worse than the £30 Halfords frame fixed roof carrier.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
As you say, reasonably aerodynamic with the seat off, but wrap your bottom bracket in clingfilm before driving it into the rain at 60mph.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Good tip I guess. Is that because it's up front? Why don't you hear the same advice for uprights on roofs if cars? Do they get that much more spray than uprights on car roofs?

Can you confirm the OD size of your main frame tube between the headset and forward seat mount .
I may have just what your looking for ....(new but old stock) ...so you don't have to remove the front wheel .
Anyway start with the tube size ....and then I can look into the racks of rare recumbents parts !

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I'll have to measure it. I checked the circumference once but can't remember it to work back to diameter. I'll get back later this evening. From memory I'd estimate 2.5" up to 3" but best be sure.

The halfords rack I own for my uprights won't fit the frame. Part of the issue is that there's not much space on the frame to hook it clamp onto with the carrier.support bar. There's seat brackets, chain tubes, etc all along the frame between the two wheels.

I've also just read the FAQ archive for the old streetmachine model that said carriers that require the disassembly of the front wheels from the forks puts too much strain on the dropouts. Or words to that effect. Not good.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Good tip I guess. Is that because it's up front? Why don't you hear the same advice for uprights on roofs if cars? Do they get that much more spray than uprights on car roofs?

I don't think its massively good for bearings on any kind of bike, but I always feel my poor SMGTe boom is floating out there in the breeze and those bearing seals just aren't expecting that kind of pressure. I expect its the same on an upright, but from the driving position I don't get to see the BB casing peering forlornly down through the windscreen looking enviably at my dry warm self.

I may be paranoid. Perhaps clingfilm on the boom is the bike's equivalent of a tinfoil hat :smile:

I'll probably continue to do it anyway :biggrin:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
It's like a Sou'wester for the boom. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I not that forward thinking. Mind you I've ridden my upright through floods that went over the bottom bracket before now so I guess I'm cruel to bikes.

Top Bottom