Roof mounted cycle carrier for Specialized Allez Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonlowe7

Evening all

First an introduction - two years ago I was a lazy 17 stone lard arse. After a "reality check" with my GP, I changed my diet, joined a gym and lost 5 stone. I turned 40 a few months ago and just ran my first marathon in a shade over three and a half hours.

Having fulfilled one life goal, I started looking for a new challenge...

With a little persuasion from my boss, last week I bought a bike - a Specialized Allez Elite. (What a bike!!!) Since then I've covered about 100 miles and - WOW, why didn't I discover cycling sooner?!?!?! My ultimate goal is to learn to swin and complete a triathlon - but in the meantime I can see this cycling lark rapidly becoming an obsession of it's own...

Now I need a little advice... I need a cycle carrier. I'd like a roof mounted carrier - I already have a set of Thule aerobars - and like the look of the Proride 591's and the Atera Giro AF.

BUT I just looked at the bike and realized that it has two cables running along the down tube that will be caught in the clamping mechanism.

Can anyone tell me whether this is likely cause any damage? They feel pretty taut and I would imagine the clamps will stretch the cables. And scratch my shiny new frame...

Or am I worrying unnecessarily? Any advice greatly appreciated ;)

bonj2

no probs with the cables, i just thread the straps inside of the cables.

andyfromotley

cool story jon. be interested to pick up some diettips from you. Am trying to lose weight, sticking in 120 plus miles a week on the bike and about 15 miles jogging but cant shift much weight. Either PM me or a post about it would be pretty cool,

andy

Chris James

Über Member
I have the Proride 591. I slacken the cables right off (i.e outer rear cog, inner front chainring) but to be honest I don't think it makes any difference anyway.

The bike is really secure too.

OP
OP
J

jonlowe7

Thanks for the reassurance, folks. I've just ordered a pair of Atera Giro's.

Hi Andy. To lose the weight, I joined a programme run by "Lighter Life".

http://www.lighterlifeformen.com/

No rocket science to it - it's a very low calorie diet using their pre-prepared packs and, with your food choices taken away, you go through a counselling programme to understand what triggers your over-eating.

I realised very quickly that (a) I was totally ignorant with regard to nutrition, (;) I ate when I was bored and (c) I mostly ate crap!!!

I also realised that I was dehydrated most of the time - which I mostly interpreted as hunger. So I ate. These days I drink a lot of water. The more I drink, the easier I find it is to lose weight.

Top Bottom