Roof Rack for Gazelle Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

Hi, This is my first post on this forum as I am returning to Cycling after a break of several years.

My interest was sparked by a trip to Brugges where we hired bikes. I have since decided to purchase a Dutch Bike from Gazelle. The only issue I have is the weight of the bike as it is a lot heavier than most weighing in at 22kg.

Therefore I am trying to work out a sensible transporting method. I have decided against a rear rack that is attached using only straps as I feel this too weak. I also think that a rack that will fit on a tow bar although the more sensible option is far too expensive for me at the moment as I have no towbar and would need to pay to get one fitted. I have decided to try and go down the roof rack route, I have already purchased bars for my car and fitted them it is now just a matter of finding a suitable cycle carrier for the roof.

The best one I can find is a Thule 591 which looks very solid. However it is only suppose to cope with bikes that weigh up to 17kgs. Do you think they are just being over cautious here? Does anyone know of any other cycle carriers or can offer any advice it would be appreciated.

Sorry for the rambling essay! And hello!

wafflycat

If you can - get a towbar fitted. It cost £150 to have one put on my car. Best thing I ever did was to do that and get a towbar-mounted bike carrier.

Whatever you decide, have a look at these people

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

They are exceedingly helpful, know their stuff and will give good advice.
I got a Tradekar Silverbike II with third bike adapter. Excellent thing - has a tilt mechanism so even with the bikes on I can get access to the boot of the car.

barq

Hello :ohmy:

I can't speak for that model, but my experience of Thule racks is that they are very sturdy. See what a few other people have to say - hopefully someone here will own one.

U

User169

Can't really help with the carrier issue - but I can vouch for the weight of Gazelles.

I ride a Gazelle Impala (so good they named it twice) and the thing weighs an absolute tonne.

U

User169

Jim77 said:
How do you transport your Impala about, or do you just ride it from home?

I bought it at a shop near to where I live and only ride it from home so I've never had to transport it.

It's a really nice ride and very practical.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

I have yet to pick my Gazelle up yet, just ordered it. How many gears does your impala have, and how do you find it on hills?

U

User169

Jim77 said:
I have yet to pick my Gazelle up yet, just ordered it. How many gears does your impala have, and how do you find it on hills?

It's got four gears (hub gearing).

As to hills, they don't exist here in western Netherlands! I'd guess though that pushing all that weight up hill would be quite hard work and the bike doesn't really have the geometry for honking.

Here's a link to a couple of pictures..http://tinyurl.com/3an693

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Ah, I hadn't realised you were from Holland or else I wouldn't have asked the hills question!

I have gone for an 8 Gear Hub on the Chamonix so I think it will cope with some small hills. Hopefully. I am not sure how long it will be before I get it as the factory are closed this month.

Still not sure how I will transport it though!

U

User169

Nice looking bike that Jim.

Good luck with it and I hope you find some suitable transport!

Will1985

Über Member
Is lifting 22kg of bike above your head really a sensible option for your arms and back?

Go for rear mount, towball or strap, as they are rated from around 30 to 45kg depending on model.

Get some tribars for it too - when I went to Leiden earlier this year I saw lots of people with them....looks funny but cool!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Will1985 said:
Is lifting 22kg of bike above your head really a sensible option for your arms and back?

Seconded. As a shortish person, I've really struggled to get even a lightish bike up on a car roof (in the end, had to park next to a low wall I could use as a step!:blush:)

I've used rear mounted racks a lot, and for more than one bike at a time, so probably well over the gazelle weight. How much do you plan to carry the bike about by car? For the odd trip, a rear mounted rack is fine - just make sure the straps are done up properly, not cuts or nick in them, bike and rack are padded where necessary etc.

In fact I know people who use a strap on rear rack pretty regularly with no problems. Sensible use is the key...

Top Bottom