roof rack or rear rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zizou

Veteran
Have both setups - roof mounted is the thule aero bars with proride bike holder and a rear towball mounted platform which is a thule g5...Both will do the job but the towball mounted one is more stable and convenient. Literally takes a minute to put the rack on (you just place on towball then pull a lever). It is particular good after a long days mountain biking with a filthy bike and suffering from arm pump to just be able to lift the bike a couple of feet off the ground rather than over my head onto the car! With the roof mounted when not carrying bikes then i can either leave it on and get worse petrol consumption or take it off and then spend 20 to 30 minutes trying to reattach it all before i can put the bikes on.

The downside of a towball mounted one is the expense of having to get it and the electrics fitted if you dont already have one. Overall though it has been good value for money and one of the best bike related purchases i've made in the last year or so.

e-rider

crappy member
towball mounted racks are the way forward.

£200 to get a towball fitted though. Well worth it if you use the bike carrier a lot.

Brommie77

I used to have a rear mounted rack, but I was suffering from snapped spokes regularly - and it was suggested that the wind pressure on them at *ahem* 70mph might be snapping them, so I changed to a roof mounted rack, and have never had a snapped spoke since. Could be complete coincidence, but....

Like others have said roof mounted ones generally you dont notice where as the rear ones the bikes were wider than the car, and it was a hassle to drive with them.

Ah, but if you had a smaller car, would mpg be generally less anyway?

My bikes went in my car even when I had a mini (old style) and a golf. Yes, I have small mpv today, but regardless of car I'd still prefer my bikes to be inside.

I would guess the smaller the car the greater the negative impact on mpg a bike on the roof will have.

Bicycle

I went with roof bars (cheapest square-section Thule) some years ago for an XM, now on a Zafira with other cars between those two.

It was easier to load onto an estate car than it is onto a midi-MPV, but still OK.

Why roof?

1. it uses the same lateral bars as the roofbox we already had.

2. The car get no wider with bikes on it.

3. Visibility to the rear is unchanged.

4. I hate webbing straps and the like - which some rear carriers depend on.

5. We can get into the boot/hatch with great ease.

6. I imagined a roof system would be easier to use on several cars - so far that's proved correct. Some tailgate systems seem to fit only a few models.

7. Some tailgate systems need a seprate number plate, which I just don't find elegant.

With things as they are, I can put three bikes on the roof, with a couple of surfboards (minus fins) strapped next to them. Or I can go with the roofbox and one bike. I could do box and 2 bikes, but I'm not enterprising enough...

There's also a boot for another couple of bikes sans wheels, although the cleated shoes, pumps, tools, helmets etc take up a remarkable amount of space with a family on board.

Bad things about the roof?

1. I'm short (5'8") and it can be comical putting the bikes up. I have to stand on the sill of the rear door. Getting them down it's 'best if we don't park near other cars'. In other words, I'm likely to end up falling backwards with bike over my head and a worried look on my face.

2. The clamps that go around the bike frame are fiddly to adjust - so I need to figure out which roof-thingy to use for which bike... super-narrow 531 steel road bike of crazy-fat Pace rc303 hardtail.... or something in between. That can be tiresome.

3. You must remember you have bikes on the roof. Those clangy horizontal bars on chains like the ones on the height restrictor at the McDonalds Drive-Through just outside Hereford will otherwise cause you to curse and blaspheme. Luckily, they are light alloy and do only superficial damage at low speed...

4. I dare say MPG suffers too... But life's too short to worry about that.

5. Security. If it's a single bike, I whip the wheels off and stick it in the boot. The boot is always favourite for me.

6. More expensive on ferries etc. with the extra height.

I drove to Paris a couple of years ago with teenage daughter to spend a w/e riding round the city. We took 2 old MTBs in the boot of a Ford Ka - with tons of room left over for luggage (seats folded). Great fun, nicer than Velib and the tiny little Ka swallowed the bikes in one bite.

So boot is favourite, followed by roof. In my not very organised mind, anyway.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
I did have a problem years ago with extremely strong crosswinds and a bike on a roofrack, but we're talking extreme weather that day - gusts of force 10, otherwise you're OK with roofracks. Mpg does suffer a bit, but only really on motorways.

I have an estate and use a towbar mounted rack when the car is full. The advantage is ease of loading and unloading and greater fuel efficiency than on the roof (which I doubt you'd get on a saloon).

Top Bottom