Roof Rack vs Boot Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Roof rack.
Disadvantages:
a) Precarious
:biggrin: Pain in the arse to lift bikes onto it and secure them
c) Very fiddly, bars have to be slid onto rails and little tiny plates have to be bolted on in the correct position, have to be extra careful not to round bolts, etc.
d) Extra pain in the arse (to such an extent that you'll be lucky to do it) to put bikes on when it's dark
e) Security - bike's highly visible

Advantages:
None really

Rear carrier.
Disadvantages:
a) Wobbly
xx( When you put it on, it wobbles about, even before bikes are on it
c) Can scratch the car
d) It has a tendency to wobble
e) Can't open the boot when it's on
f) Did I mention that it's wobbly?

Advantages: none really

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
Roof rack.
Disadvantages:
a) Precarious
:biggrin: Pain in the arse to lift bikes onto it and secure them
c) Very fiddly, bars have to be slid onto rails and little tiny plates have to be bolted on in the correct position, have to be extra careful not to round bolts, etc.
d) Extra pain in the arse (to such an extent that you'll be lucky to do it) to put bikes on when it's dark
e) Security - bike's highly visible

Advantages:
None really

Rear carrier.
Disadvantages:
a) Wobbly
xx( When you put it on, it wobbles about, even before bikes are on it
c) Can scratch the car

i take it you're with me with the roof box method then bonj.

Danny

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Rear carrier.
Disadvantages:
a) Wobbly
:biggrin: When you put it on, it wobbles about, even before bikes are on it
c) Can scratch the car

My previous experience with poor quality rear racks that I had borrowed was exactly as described by bonj (including an embarassing incident which resulted in my new girlfirend's car being badly scratched).

However the Saris Bones rack I recently bought has no wobble at all once you have correctly adjusted all the straps.

I use a boot mounted type but only becuase thats what was in the shop when I needed one, o and it was about a third of the price of anything else. The bikes do wobble and a lot of use will lead to a few scratches.

If its just occasional use mine says no more than 3 bikes but I wouldnt want to put 3 Dh bikes on it.

My favourites are the little trailers with a few bike on top, but I dont really need one , they just look handy:smile:

You might consider doing without altogether, my last car , a german saloon ahem.. ,could fit a couple of bikes with the wheels removed in the boot no need for a rack.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When the kids were young and everyone wanted to ride we had five bikes to move around, often to the south of France, on an Espace. The Espace shape means rear mounted racks are dangerous so we got a tow bar mounted rack from Pendle Bike Racks http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/. Superb piece of kit that took 4 bikes and the last one went on the roof. These also keep their second hand value - got £100 for mine after 5 years use.

Now it's just my bike I have something cheap from Halfords on the boot. I've spent some time covering the entire frame with foam pipe lagging from B&Q. This protects the bike and the car. To avoid paintwork scratches from the straps just slip a piece of cardboard under the clips.

One day when I have some spare cash I shall invest in a tow bar and a new tow bar mounted carrier. This is by far the best system......and looks so good.

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
i take it you're with me with the roof box method then bonj.

i'm with the 'inside vehicle' method myself, but yes roof box is better than rear rack or roof rack.
Tow-bar mounted rack would be the rack I'd have to go for if i had to have one, but i still wouldn't like that quite as much as inside.

Sorry, this isn't intended to apply to those of you carrying three or more bikes or going on holiday with a carful of people and luggage...

...but I'm always puzzled to see a car, frequently a hatchback or estate car, with just one bloke driving it, and a single bike on the roof or a boot rack.

Why ?
I can understand it with lots of bikes, or lots of people & luggage & bikes - but one person and one bike ?

And if it's a MTB I can understand you might be getting it filthy and not want it in the car on the way back, but a road bike ?

If I drive to a tri or sportive, alone or with Mrs wrx, my bike goes inside the car.
I put an old sheet in first to protect the carpet, drop the seats, shove the bike in - it takes seconds : far easier & quicker than fitting a rack, no effect on fuel consumption, more secure against theft.

bonj2

yeah, so make sure your brake lights work/can be seen!

OP
OP
Lefire

Lefire

Thanks for the advice:

Summary is
roof rack not a good idea
boot rack not a good idea
tow bar rack better but still not a good idea

That settles it then, I'll sell the car.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thanks for the advice:

Summary is
roof rack not a good idea
boot rack not a good idea
tow bar rack better but still not a good idea

That settles it then, I'll sell the car.

Aha ! he's getting the idea ....
..... but how does he get to that wonderful ride/race/sportif which is 100 miles away ???

Top Bottom