Rookie Folder question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Rookie Folder question...
Are they 'sized'? ie small, medium and large etc, or is the size needed altered by raising or lowering stuff?

🤔

Rocky

Hello decadence
Brompton comes in one size. There are three different (sized) seat posts and different heights/shapes of bars. I normally tale a 58cm frame on a road bike and ride a Brommie with an extended seat post and M bars.

Smudge

Veteran
You dont get different sized frames in folders, but seat height is obviously adjustable. Handlebar height is also adjustable on many folders. You can also get more reach by fitting different bars or bar ends.
Best to try different folders to see what one fits you best. I found different ones do vary in fit.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Thanks. I'm thinking of getting one, soon, for local rides and to put in the car on days out.
I'll try a few, maybe, when lockdown permits.

12boy

Guru
The main size adjustments for most folders which have only one size frame per model are :
Seatpost, often telescopic
Handle bar stem, can be telescopic also
Fore and aft seat placement. Bromptons had a seat post device that allowed for more front to back adjustment.
Brompton's Pentaclip can be flipped to lower or raise the saddle.
Devices such as an Aber Hallo can extend reach or height of handle bars.
Handle bars can be used to raise the grip area or to place hands farther forward or farther behind the factory set place. Bar ends can be used with flat or riser bars to extend the reach or provide alternate hand positions.
However, it is good to remember folders also have weight limitations. Bike Friday makes special folders that allow for much heavier riders. The weight limitations can also include the weight of cargo, as well as the cyclist.
My experience has been mostly with my Xootr Swift and my Brompton. Both of these can fit very short folks and people over 6 feet although what the body proportions are is a factor. Some people, including myself, like to have a folder around in case of guests who might like a ride since they are so adjustable. To be honest, the primary reason I have them is I love to ride them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At that height you shouldn't have any trouble finding one to suit.
Bromptons are very nice and have the smallest and easiest fold but are very expensive and if it's just for the odd day out there are plenty of alternatives which should suit for a lot less. You can often find bargains used so look on Gumtree eBay etc.

Gunk

Guru
Budget about £600-£750 for a decent used Brompton which is ready to go.

The good news is that a used one doesn’t depreciate, so if it’s not for you, they’re easy to sell and get your money back. However as they take up so little space, they’re a useful bike to hang on to.

Top Bottom