Rookie Mistake, have I bust summit???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I repaired a puncture on my front wheel today but made a very dumbo mistake.

When I put the wheel back in, I only had one side of the axel actually in place, the other side was just behind the actual insert. It is a quick release wheel so it tightened up enough that I didn't notice my mistake and road for a about fifty yds before I realised what I'd done.

Apart from a little paint missing of the very bottom of the carbon forks, there doesn't appear to be any obvious damage to the forks. However the spoke did make a bit of an odd sound, kind of a twanging sound. It was this sound and the fact that I felt felt like I was riding a penny farthing that made me pull over and realise my mistake.

No spokes have broken but the wheel isnt quite true any more (though I'm not 100% sure if I t was slightly out already) and I'm a little paranoid that I've done some damage that may lead to my fork snapping or wheel collapsing as I'm on a very fast downhill run.

Anyone else been a twonk like me in the past?

snorri

Legendary Member
carbon forks:eek:

yello

In short, no*.

Doesn't sound (or I surprised) if any lasting damage has been done, so one to learn from.

*we all make mistakes so fret not! I've not made that particular mistake but some that deserve the 'twonk' label in someone's book!

It shouldn't have damaged your wheel if you stopped before the thing came loose and threw you over the handlebars... your paranoia now is bound to translate every bump in the road into a 'new' feeling that wasn't there before! Just ride through it and you should be fine, but as always, if really in doubt, take it to the LBS for a quick check up. A decent one would probably look at it for free, and even a half decent one shouldn't charge a lot for what would be a quick check.

Blue

Legendary Member
I repaired a puncture on my front wheel today but made a very dumbo mistake.

When I put the wheel back in, I only had one side of the axel actually in place, the other side was just behind the actual insert. It is a quick release wheel so it tightened up enough that I didn't notice my mistake and road for a about fifty yds before I realised what I'd done.

Apart from a little paint missing of the very bottom of the carbon forks, there doesn't appear to be any obvious damage to the forks. However the spoke did make a bit of an odd sound, kind of a twanging sound. It was this sound and the fact that I felt felt like I was riding a penny farthing that made me pull over and realise my mistake.

No spokes have broken but the wheel isnt quite true any more (though I'm not 100% sure if I t was slightly out already) and I'm a little paranoid that I've done some damage that may lead to my fork snapping or wheel collapsing as I'm on a very fast downhill run.

Anyone else been a twonk like me in the past?

As the wheel wouldn't have been sitting true your computer sensor, or something like that, may have been hitting the spokes.

I always give wheels a spin when just refitted as if they aren't sitting correctly they won't spin well.

Top Bottom