Room for one more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the dole queue I mean? Looks like, unless a last-minute reprieve happens my workplace of nearly twenty years is to close, with the loss of around 22 jobs. I know this doesn't sound like a lot and it isn't, but we shed 30-odd% of our workforce back in March and have been hanging on to see what would happen, and this has.
Ah well, I shouldn't be suprised, it's happened to so many people in the world I've just managed to miss it until now. Couple of irons in the fire, one a lot hotter than the other, so we'll see what happens.
I'm going to record Always Look On The Bright Side Of LIfe and put it on a loop ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am going to swear
BUGGER !!! go on mods you can slap me if you like.

Hope it all works out ok, i didnt get made redundant but was put on short time for over 18 months so i had to downsize and start from scratch the wrong side of 40 and bnow we are banking days off till the company picks up.

'Banking days off', that's where you get to take days off with no pay?
My M-I-L works at John Lewis and they have a system called time banking, where you can take time off that you owe them back at a date to suit them, namely Christmas, lovely eh?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
'Banking days off', that's where you get to take days off with no pay?
My M-I-L works at John Lewis and they have a system called time banking, where you can take time off that you owe them back at a date to suit them, namely Christmas, lovely eh?

We are being paid to take a day off then work them back in overtime if and when business picks up, looking at 12 days worth .Better than when we had to move when i lost shift pay and 1 day a week , i was over £100 a week short .Mrs CK cannot work more than a few hours due to her health issues and now with 2 young children i do not like her to have to work anyway although now that the child tax credits have been cut we are short anyway.
Unfortunatly there is not much else out there, people who left 2 years ago with redundancy are trying to come back as agency workers the company are hiring assuming a big surge in sales when the new model starts production.

Well, it's (semi) official, my job is now "under threat" I was told today. Simplifies things in a way as I can now focus on getting a job somewhere else. There are opportunities with the company I work for at different sites so I'll see what turns up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good luck.

yello

Looks like, unless a last-minute reprieve happens my workplace of nearly twenty years is to close, with the loss of around 22 jobs.

That sucks. I've experienced something similar when I was working for the UK arm of a US company. The US pulled the plug and closed down the entire UK operation. I'd been offered a job with them in the US so I was made aware of the closure and redundancies in advance but obviously been sworn to secrecy. I'd felt a kind of good fortune about the situation... but that completely disappeared come the morning that the receivers came in and people were told. I felt sick as I looked around my colleagues. I could see the despair in faces, the vacant expressions and blank stares. I couldn't help but feel that some were really going to struggle. It was awful.

I really hope one of those irons comes to something Browser. Good stuff can come of crap stuff, just a matter of time and perspective.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Good luck with the job hunting.

I will be in that position at some point. Currently lost my job due to being off sick. Still off sick, 15 months now, and this has been the longest I have been not working. I need to get signed well for work and then try and find some.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good luck. Hope your Job Centre is nicer than mine.

Hope it goes ok browser..following my stint off work late last year, i frequented the Jobcentre in P'boro for a few weeks. It isnt that bad actually, a bit of a conveyor belt, but no biggie, no bad behaviour...nothing really.

Is it the power station ? I see the ET has a piece on it,

Top Bottom