Room for one more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
Hope it goes ok browser..following my stint off work late last year, i frequented the Jobcentre in P'boro for a few weeks. It isnt that bad actually, a bit of a conveyor belt, but no biggie, no bad behaviour...nothing really.

Is it the power station ? I see the ET has a piece on it,

Re the Job Centre.

In my case they told me I wasn't eligible for JSA because I had savings. In fact JSA is in 2 parts: Income-based is not payable to those with savings above £16k but contribution based is payable regardless if you have contributed NI for the last 2 years which I had (nearly 30 years, in fact). So their 'advice' was a lie and their attitude seemed to be modelled on the Daily M4il school of thinking. No problems with my fellow job seekers! In my experience, the jobs advertised at the Job Centre were a very limited selection of what was available generally. It's advisable to cast your net much more widely than just the job-centre.

Shaun

Founder
Yup, good luck from me too.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your line of work?

Is it the power station ? I see the ET has a piece on it,

Aye, that's the one. You'll see my comments on there under the psudonym Crowmark. It's a pi55er but reflects the wider state of the country and the power industry at present. All of the big generation companies are having to batten the hatches down, tighten their belts and weather the storm (how many metaphors can one fit into one sentence!). Centrica own most of the oldest and smallest stations in the UK gas power station fleet and so are vulnerable to low wholesale 'leccy prices.
You may well see it being demolished in a year or two if they stick to their current plan.

Yup, good luck from me too.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your line of work?

Currently, Shift Team Leader at a power station, which also encompases being a Senior Authorised Person, Safety Controller, prepping Permits For Work etc.
Todays scoop folks, I've been offered a new job within the company! Slightly lower pay and it's 70-odd miles away but it's with a new and rapidly developing branch of Centrica and should see me employed (I fervently hope), barring the UK govt doing a U-turn on current energy policy, for many years to come. Browser is a relieved and happy chappie!

Keith Oates

Janner
Glad to hear of the turn of fortune for you Browser, and I hope it all goes well a the new location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A 70 mile commute in the morning and evening will increase the fitness;) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom