Rory O'Brien bike

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by pubrunner, 17 Sep 2007.

1. nonowt

nonowt Senior Member

Great! Glad to see it's gone to a good home. Off the top of my head, the 531 decal are early 80s. That lovely wrap-over seat stay is worth the price on it's own.

Montsegur Horsefly likes this.
  2. Montsegur Horsefly

Montsegur Horsefly Active Member

Had a quick look this morning and there seems to be three figures on the BB. Not clear as there's quite a bit of grime. Planning to start cleaning and stripping this weekend so will let you know what is revealed.

Nothing meaningful as there's no rear brake lever.

biggs682 likes this.
  3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

oh yes i remember that

4. Montsegur Horsefly

Frame number is 483.

5. Montsegur Horsefly

Finished. Great fun to ride, but as feared it's slightly too small for me.

After.JPG

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Very nice indeed.

How tall are you? You could easily replace that rather short stem and the saddle has plenty of scope to come up, possibly with a longer post.

7. midlife

midlife Guru

Is it me or is the right hand shifter a bit far down?

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

It's not just you.

9. Montsegur Horsefly

Sorted.

10. Lonestar

Lonestar Veteran

Martins Mart was where my second bike was bought...A Kalkoff after my first bike a Dawes was nicked.It's now a funeral parlorm,now...I still pass it quite a bit.
    Wonder when it closed and where the shopkeeper went but it was many years ago so perhaps I can guess.:sad:

11. ocianbricles

ocianbricles Active Member

Rivett's were motor cycle factors well before they retailed cycles. I have a 1952 Rivett's built by Slasher, his frame builder.
    They also had at least two good track riders Clive Parker and Dennis Talbot. Opposite Rivett's was a general cycle shop named Reads and further down the Leytonstone Road towards Stratford, was Martin's Mart cycle shop and further down towards Maryland Point was The great well-known clubman's shop and frame builder Lou Hawkes. Stratford was also blessed with Leach Marathon cycle frame builder which is now buried under the Olympic Park.
    PS. picture is a Rory O'Brien powder-coated in bronze/copper 20 years ago for a my 65th birthday, it was purchased in 1973 in the Romford shop.

Last edited: 18 May 2019
    DCBassman likes this.
  12. midlife

midlife Guru

Ohh! Any better pics than your Avatar? Looks classy :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice