Rory O'Brien frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catlotion

I've just inherited an old bike and have been told that it's a Rory O'Brien by the chap who gave it to me. He also said it was from 1947 but this sounds very early to me. I can't find any numbers on the frame but it has been brush painted.

Does anyone know about these please? I've done some searching online but can't find that much.

I'd like to restore it with period components too. What sort of components would it have had?

Thanks, Toby

20190727_174235.jpg
20190727_174241.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks nice
Not sure re age either as 40's bikes normally have guard eyes further up the rear stay and fork blades

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Could be a O'Brien. Any number on the BB? Looks like just about everything has been changed with the frame being the only original bit left.
He sold other makers frames and put his name on them so it could be a Claud Butler.
I'd also say much later than '47. Any grease point on the BB?
Does it fit you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
catlotion

catlotion

Thanks everyone. That old picture looks quite similar. Yeah, everything changed. The chap I got it from had it from new and did serious rides over the years, across Alps and all sorts...

Couldn't find any numbers but haven't scraped any paint off yet. Thinking of getting it a nice paint job and finding some period components. Need to find correct colour for the period though..

OP
OP
catlotion

catlotion

Does anyone know what sort of components this might have had? Campag? Suppose it depends on the build at the time but I'm not sure what to start looking for...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can identify and date of the frame you can then start to look for components to match that era. If it is a CB sourced frame then likely they wouldn't be high end. I suggest you look on the web and look for typical installations of that time.
If it were sixties for instance (which seems likely,) it would probably feature campag or Maillard hubs , (small or large flange)_ Mavic rims possibly with tubs, Campag derailleurs and Campag or Stronglight chain set. Maybe GB bars and Mavic centre pull brakes. Brookes saddle or the first plastic type , Unica Nitor (still available today) Should be fun researching.
Bit about him here http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/rory-o'brien-david-hull-builders.html

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
If you can identify and date of the frame you can then start to look for components to match that era. If it is a CB sourced frame then likely they wouldn't be high end. I suggest you look on the web and look for typical installations of that time.
If it were sixties for instance (which seems likely,) it would probably feature campag or Maillard hubs , (small or large flange)_ Mavic rims possibly with tubs, Campag derailleurs and Campag or Stronglight chain set. Maybe GB bars and Mavic centre pull brakes. Brookes saddle or the first plastic type , Unica Nitor (still available today) Should be fun researching.
Bit about him here http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/rory-o'brien-david-hull-builders.html
I've got one of those saddles in my spares bin

saddle.jpg

Bought it in 1968 and rode it for a few seasons and was quite comfortable compared to the old leather saddles that I had been using. But I re-built my old fixed bike years later and it was terrible, compared to the modern saddles which have a similar sub-structure, but with a very thin padding layer (San Marco Regals)

If anybody wants it, they can have it for the cost of the postage or collect for free.

OP
OP
catlotion

catlotion

Bit more info from the owner...

He purchased the bike second–hand many years ago and believes the frame was built in the early fifties. The frame no. is under the bottom bracket covered with many coats of paint. The frame had chrome on the lower six inches of the front forks and the lugs. The rear of the frame has ‘Agrati Drop-outs’ (quite expensive at the time).

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Only thing to do then is take the frame down to its components, strip the paint off and reveal the frame nos and those chrome lugs.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bit more info from the owner...

He purchased the bike second – hand many years ago and believes the frame was built in the early fifties. The frame no. is under the bottom bracket covered with many coats of paint. The frame had chrome on the lower six inches of the front forks and the lugs. The rear of the frame has ‘Agrati Drop-outs’ (quite expensive at the time).

I love hearing that kind of info from previous owners

Top Bottom