Rose bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just read on Bike Radar that Rose bikes are pulling out of the UK market for all new orders and spare parts as well, claiming Brexit is making it impractical to carry on trading in the UK.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was announced a while ago I think

Wasn't that just bikes because of prepping issues - brakes on other side etc?
This is across the board.
Sad - I used Rose a fair bit for sensible bits otherwise very hard to get hold of new in the UK - have an unused voucher - I saw this coming but by the time I tried to use it a few weeks ago lots of stuff was out of stock until the new year because of the virus hell.

vickster

Legendary Member

Attachments

• E9584875-B79A-48A8-8D7E-FF88F37F7169.png
    E9584875-B79A-48A8-8D7E-FF88F37F7169.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 20
Won't be too long before they're shipping again
Am hoping so - I think my voucher is valid until October next year.
Whether it will be at all useful depends on the duty/import regime of course.
The high postage charge didn't bother me too much - the regular vouchers I got from them covered it and the cost was also spread across a lot of cheaper bits which I couldn't otherwise get. Their courier service was also excellent.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

It was, I started a thread about it.

At the time, it affected complete bikes only.

The reason given was a combination of prepping issues - as @Blue Hills said - and trade uncertainly in the New Year over Brexit.

I can't see them permanently pulling out of the UK market unless they absolutely have to.

My first Bosch ebike came from Rose in about 2011, when such bikes were not available in the UK.

From memory, the brakes were the wrong way around, but it never bothered me.

It was the best prepared bike I've ever bought, everything was tight as a drum, and even the tyres were hard.

Dealt with them a handful of times since.

All good, so they are firmly on the recommended list.

C R

Guru
I read the notice as meaning that until there's a deal or not they don't know what dealing with UK customers will involve. They're cancelling existing orders and not taking any new orders from UK customers until they know what shipping to the UK will involve, and then they will make a decision.

D

Deleted member 23692

I read the notice as meaning that until there's a deal or not they don't know what dealing with UK customers will involve. They're cancelling existing orders and not taking any new orders from UK customers until they know what shipping to the UK will involve, and then they will make a decision.
That's my understanding too... and the 1500+ lorries stuck in Kent at the mo due to France closing their border probably has a bearing on their decision too.

Luckily I stocked up on spares in the summer :smile:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
To copy my reply in the Politics area regarding this

Just to go back to this one, perhaps the reason could be to do with delivery times.
In the event of No Deal HMRC has determined that good leaving the EU countries for the UK before 23:00 on 31/12/20 will still be allowed to be imported free of duty even if the ferry docks after midnight on 01/01/21. Anything shipped after 23:00 on 31/12/20 will be considered to be of 3rd country origin and therefore liable to import duty. If Rose cannot guarantee delivery by the end of this year the buyer could be hit by a fairly large (14%) and unexpected bill for duty on any bike ordered but still to be delivered.

Edited to show the correct duty rate

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The good news is that there are no tariffs to apply. It will be interesting to see whether they feel customs declarations are worthwhile, or how much the extra admin adds to shipping prices.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom