Rose tinted or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Oh yeah, I forgot that ten speeds (or twelve) often come with a 14-24 freewheel or similar! If you live somewhere hilly, it's definitely worth swapping it out for a 14-28. I did this a while ago (I also have a 52/42 up front) and it made the hills *much* easier!

andyfraser

Über Member
I don't know how I ever managed with gearing like that! I was much younger at the time I suppose.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hills are overrated. Moving from the foot of a 25% to the edge of the fens, I don't miss them at all ;)

I also used DT friction before indexed derailleur gears so there might be something in liking what you learned first... or maybe we're just old :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
You maybe old, but I am not. Carbon fibre and at least 10 on the cassette for this very young 59 year old.

You guys hankering after the past, do you still have black and white tv?

contadino

Veteran
I don't have a TV although I'm not hankering for the past. Many areas of my life are bang up to date. I prefer the geometry to look at, and find the ride kinder to my body (in particular my arse.)

Plus I've read too many stories of cracked, unrepairable carbon...

I'm thinking of moving to Derbyshire, in which case I'm sure I'll need to remedy the gearing situation, but around here it's just rolling countryside and 12 is fine when you get used to it.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Whilst occasionally I feel a bit curious about having a glued soot bike, I have not yet actually got round to buying one. I read reviews (usually written by ex pros) that rave about stiffness in the bottom bracket area or the rigidity of the stem and I think, well the bikes I have now I can't bend. Some one mentioned above that they prefer the look of the older stuff.

Me too. Compact frames belong on mountain bikes. Horizontal top tubes are better looking to my eyes at least. I have been riding my 853 Kowal with 39/53 and 12-23 gearing. Not a struggle around here even for me.

Having written all that, obviously the answer to the question is to have a couple bikes in each material.

Titanium next for me I think.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The main problems spares-wise come from the wheels. Which is a shame because the only thing that's really crap (IMO) about this type of bike is chrome steel rims.

The rear dropouts are skinnier than modern ones. This means that if you want to put a rear wheel with a freehub in you have to wrestle it in, bending the rear forks apart, or bend it permanently. I chose the former method, and therefore ride with Marathon Plus on my Dawes as springing the wheel into the frame at the roadside in the rain and mud is no fun.

If it has 27" wheels you may (or may not) need long-drop brakes if you want to put modern 622mm wheels on. Nut fit brakes are easy enough to get.

Top Bottom