ROSPA HGV/Cyclist Safety Video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think there should be a very short cartoon version of this video - even more simplified that could be shown in schools (as part of road safety PSHE stuff) or cinemas to reach a wider audience. But it would need to be shorter and funkier to catch the audience in a cinema.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
I think there should be a very short cartoon version of this video - even more simplified that could be shown in schools (as part of road safety PSHE stuff) or cinemas to reach a wider audience. But it would need to be shorter and funkier to catch the audience in a cinema.

I agree, a condensed version would be good. What's more, in it's current form, it's not really viral campaigning material...Good fora fodder, but not likely to reach a wider constituency.

MartinC said:
All right, I give in. I can't see any logical connection between my post and your question.

My post was indirectly related to the OP - it was an explanation of my suspension of judgement about the RoSPA video (which I think is worthwhile now that I've seen it).

Your post is a non sequitur - don't spoil Origamist's thread. Start another if you really want to explain your abstruse point.

You have repeatedly asserted your 'pro choice' stance. You have effectively rubbished any viewpoint which ROSPA give because you disagree with their standpoint on protective headgear.

I can start another thread and call you out on it directly, but a simple yes or no here would suffice for this thread, and that will be that

I have no desire to hijack Origamists thread (cos he's bigger than me innit ;) )

charlie_lcc

I've just looked a the video again, it is better than the first edit which I saw several years ago but still gives an unrealistic view of the problem. The sketch road layout shows the lorry starting from a position on the right and moving more to the right before turning left - that is what usually happens. The filmed video shows the lorry starting from the left with a very narrow gap and it uses an open flared junction layout, there are also shots of the cyclist turning left and the lorry having space to overtake on the corner - this is really crap.

Most of the crashes happen on tighter corners where the lorry has to start from about 2-3 metres away from the left curb. That leaves a very wide gap which most cyclists see as inviting and safe. Sometimes they see the driver is indicating left but just don't believe it as the lorry is so far away to the right. In this position it is often very difficult for the driver to see the cyclist in any mirror. When cyclist and lorry move forward the driver begins to turn quite sharply, cutting across the cyclist's path. Most often the cyclist is planning to go straight ahead and is hit by the very front corner of the lorry, at or in front of the first axle. Not as shown in the video.

The ROSPA video is misleading in suggesting the danger comes from squeezing into a narrow space, at most junctions a lorry that close to the curb could not turn the corner (it's still crazy to go there).

The Met Police have just made a series of presentations showing where the cyclist goes and what the driver can see in the mirrors, I'm hoping they will put them on YouTube for everyone to see.

-
charlie

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Leading on from what Charlie said, it would have been good to have seen a range of vehicles: rigid tippers, artics, cement lorries, etc and their repsective swept paths at a busy, urban junction.

wafflycat

On the whole, 9.5/10 for the effort. But it does say that cyclists should stay well away from the kerb (yes) and then shows them all cycling far too close into the kerb even in the non-HGV conflict bits of the vid.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
One of the problems with this kind of video is that it is made by people who make videos. If you see what I mean. Very few are made by people who know their subject. The director has a certain preconception, and the actors take directions. Directors are notoriously thick, (but not quite as thick as producers) and don't listen.

Sometimes it works to the advantage of the video. The TfL get on your bike videos are really lovely to watch.

davefb

Guru
eek scary music!!

bit twee, but pretty sensible.. have to honest, I can't understand anyone feeding through on a wagon like that ... just seems utterly wrong...

also funny at 4:30 when saying 'some junctions have advanced stop lanes'.... yes with renault people carriers in them!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Again its a bit dry and dull (and long). And at about 4.50 shows the lorry overtaking a cyclist whilst indicating that its about to turn left!

classic33

Leg End Member
Minor points.
There is no indication that the driver was wearing a seat belt at anytime & for me the driver passes to close for my liking.
Also indicates that he is going to overtake a right turning vehicle.

Who is going to watch that? Seriously? :wacko:

It might have reasonable information within it, but it is too long and boring to have any impact. ROSPA need to get with the times. :sad:

Top Bottom