Rotator Cuff Injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Can I join in with my shoulder injury too, please - it makes such as change from knees, ankles and back :laugh:
Having sorted all of the above (well, more or less) over the last couple of years, I've now picked up a shoulder injury - not rotorcuff but apparently bursitis in the joint, which gives problems (pain) when the joint is compressed - e.g. moving the arm back and up - just what you do when swimming front crawl.
I've had one series of treatments at the physio and the pain did go for most things and allowed me to swim fairly well again but just the last couple of weeks it's flared up again for no reason that I can think of. The original injury was itself slightly mysterious but manifested itself after swimming in a (cold) outdoor pool on a cool, windy day, after which my arm was sore and the shoulder slightly stiff. I didn't do anything about it for a year although it did become a bit of a pain with some yoga and Pliates moves. I'm usually not too hypochondriac but this latest flare up has coincided with inflammation in a toe (fairly regular occurrence over the last year) and a finger joint (both stiff and sore) and I'm starting to wonder if this is rheumatoid arthritis :evil: Somebody tell me I'm been a hypochondriac or I shall have to go and see the GP - always a chastening experience :laugh:

ChrisKH

Guru
Fiona N said:
Can I join in with my shoulder injury too, please - it makes such as change from knees, ankles and back :evil:
Having sorted all of the above (well, more or less) over the last couple of years, I've now picked up a shoulder injury - not rotorcuff but apparently bursitis in the joint, which gives problems (pain) when the joint is compressed - e.g. moving the arm back and up - just what you do when swimming front crawl.
I've had one series of treatments at the physio and the pain did go for most things and allowed me to swim fairly well again but just the last couple of weeks it's flared up again for no reason that I can think of. The original injury was itself slightly mysterious but manifested itself after swimming in a (cold) outdoor pool on a cool, windy day, after which my arm was sore and the shoulder slightly stiff. I didn't do anything about it for a year although it did become a bit of a pain with some yoga and Pliates moves. I'm usually not too hypochondriac but this latest flare up has coincided with inflammation in a toe (fairly regular occurrence over the last year) and a finger joint (both stiff and sore) and I'm starting to wonder if this is rheumatoid arthritis :laugh: Somebody tell me I'm been a hypochondriac or I shall have to go and see the GP - always a chastening experience :laugh:

No, far from it. It certainly could be arthritis of sorts. I certainly suffer from osteo-arthritis in several joints, albeit not severely, and the last few weeks has been bad for them. I find that pressure changes and damp cool weather to be worse for the joints than mid-winter, I don't know why. Mid summer and in hot conditions on holiday, my aches and pains are much less or go away altogether. Wish I lived in Lanzarote tbh. :laugh:

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
fossyant said:
Were you 'awake'....looks messy even for keyhole....urgh.....does it hurt....I only ask as I may at some point need my AC sorted

No luckily I had a full general (which did not help my hypochondria / fear of death during the opration!) & then after a fair ammount of morphine...

Yes mine was a de-compression, though before I had at least 6 months physio & 1 cortisone injection which unfortunatlty did not work especially as the cortisone began to ware off

Still sore today & limited movement, I should start physio next week & see surgeon at outpatients in 2 weeks to see how it has gone.
If not sucessful may still need work on tendon!!!:biggrin:

Looks bad but once cleaned up I'm sure the scars will be small, used strips and not stitches as well.

puddleglum

I had 2 non cycling falls in 1995 and 2003 and lost a lot of mobility, without doing much about it. The dislocation 'popping' thing started in 2005 and I've had 2 lots of physio since. The 2nd lot, where I was given a big rubber band to pull and hook around the door handle etc has been the most effective treatment. It increased strength and mobility and stopped the painful popping. This however is an ongoing process and if I don't do the exercises, it all flares up again, to the point where turning over in bed can cause an episode.
I still daredn't risk overhead shots in badmonton though, it feels like my arm might fly out of its socket ;)
I regret not getting it seen to in the first place, cos without surgery it will never be right.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
puddleglum said:
I was given a big rubber band to pull and hook around the door handle etc has been the most effective treatment. It increased strength and mobility and stopped the painful popping. This however is an ongoing process and if I don't do the exercises, it all flares up again, to the point where turning over in bed can cause an episode.

Big rubber bands = dura-bands, still have plenty left over from physio previously, (red, green & blue ones all different tensions, even snapped a couple, though think that was catching them on sharp bits of the door)

At the moment in the words of Vivien from the young ones, 'I'm bored,bored,bored' may even have to (erm) go out for a walk, before it rains again!

puddleglum

craigwend said:
Big rubber bands = dura-bands, still have plenty left over from physio previously, (red, green & blue ones all different tensions, even snapped a couple, though think that was catching them on sharp bits of the door)

At the moment in the words of Vivien from the young ones, 'I'm bored,bored,bored' may even have to (erm) go out for a walk, before it rains again!

Just gor back from DRENCHING walk,

puddleglum

craigwend said:

Just got back from DRENCHING walk, so think again maybe!
My one and only dura band is the yellow one which is the 'easiest' as I am so feeble! :becool:

Fiona N

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
No, far from it. It certainly could be arthritis of sorts.
Goodness ChrisKH, I can tell osteoarthritis from the rheumatoid sort, believe me. I've had osteoarthritis since my twenties in ankles and feet, now in knees and probably hips too (I'm in my 50s) and it's not a problem beyond a bit of morning stiffness (:biggrin: lucky I'm a girl) so long as I don't stop moving. But I had an aunt with RH and that's a very different kettle of fish as it's a progressive, auto-immune disease causing severe inflammation of the joints, usually starting in the small joints of the hands and feet. The joints are swollen, reddened and hot to the touch when it's bad. This is, worryingly, all too much like the condition of my toe and finger. Hence my worry about my shoulder too :hello:

Top Bottom