Rotor crank 30mm or 24mm axle (3D+ or 3D) what's better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudigrinfeld

Anyone can address what stiffer and lighter between the 2? After all with rotor press fit caps you can use both on a frame with bb86 shell. What would you go for and why?

Thanks

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would get the 3D+ so I could swap it between both of my bikes with ease without adapters.

As for lighter, check the specs, they will tell you. Stiffness wise, probably not a lot in it.

OP
OP
dudigrinfeld

dudigrinfeld

I would get the 3D+ so I could swap it between both of my bikes with ease without adapters.

As for lighter, check the specs, they will tell you. Stiffness wise, probably not a lot in it.

So you have two bikes with BB30 shell? I have one with BB86..mmm..! But form your reply I guess it's fine with the using of an adapter to use both types (4130 or 4124) even though my bike are not pure BB30 shell?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rotor make adapters that fit pretty much any of their cranks onto any frame, budget and the degree to which you are a weight weenie will probably be the largest considerations if you need not worry about swapping between bikes and potentially having different adapters on each bike.

As for me having 2 bikes with BB30 bottom bracket shells, yes, you are correct, both of my geared bikes have a BB30 bottom bracket, so I would choose a BB30 crankset so I can swap it around easily. Rather than buying 2 expensive cranksets (if loaded) or 2 cheap cranksets (if budget limited), I would buy 1 of the best I could afford and swap it (best performance for least cash). This is what I do with my power meter because I definitely can not afford 2 of those.

OP
OP
dudigrinfeld

dudigrinfeld

Btw I wanted to ask if it is necessary to use an adapter of Rotor for their crank or I can use any adapter which fit my bb86 shell?
I.e I am using now the adapter of Shimano inside my bottom bracket (86.5mm shell width on 41mm dimeter), that means I can't use neither the 24mm axle of Rotor nor the 30mm with this adapter?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I have the 3D and can honestly say it's as stiff as any Dura-Ace crank I've used. I'm not sure there will be a huge difference between the 3D and 3D+, so really the choice would be down to which is easier to get an adapter for and fit to your bike. They are really nice cranks and the Q-Rings are fab.

I went for the 3D as it's a 24mm axel which is exactly the same as Shimano use, so I could swap out my DA for Rotor without any mucking about with a new BB or adapters.....just a straight swap.

Top Bottom