Rotor Q Rings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Can any of you that are pro Rotor quantify the benefit/gain?

How much more power can you produce in a 20 or 60 minute maximal effort than on a round ring?

How sure are you that the difference in power measured is not an artifact of the power measurement process?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a Rotor RSX4 crankset. Whereas Q rings reduce the dead spot, the RSX4 eliminates it entirely. I like it v much, but there's a weight and cost penalty which prevented it from selling well. Now it's been discontinued and I don't know where to get spare rings. It's a great shame....the RSX4 was Rotor's core product, the only one which fully implemented their ideas. Q rings are just a compromise.
I had never heard of that system. It sounds like an interesting idea - REVIEW.

oldroadman

Veteran
There's a lot of mind games involved. In the end you pedal smooth, apply power, go fast. Whether it's 53x11 on round rings or oval, the ratio is the same and requires the same power. Can't see the fuss, except as a strategy to sell more kit!

Eurostar

Guru
You're completely wrong about the ratio being the same. These products vary the ratio and power requirements. That's the whole point.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I can imagine shifting problems with the front mech height always moving, but only wimps use the small ring anyway!
In fact it's as smooth as butter if setup correctly. I'd equate it to the best that da9000 can offer, and way smoother than my older DA7900 rings. you can get some shifting issues with the qxl rings as they are quite extreme, but again, with correct setup and a bit of testing it's normally extremely smooth.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Can any of you that are pro Rotor quantify the benefit/gain?

How much more power can you produce in a 20 or 60 minute maximal effort than on a round ring?

How sure are you that the difference in power measured is not an artifact of the power measurement process?

I very much doubt I could re-produce the exact same conditions for two tests to be worth a comparison. The gain rotor claims is a small one, so might be very hard, if not impossible, for the avg person to spot. I was curious about Q's so tried them out on a trial and they felt more comfortable to me, so I stuck with them. At the end of the day it may be a placebo, but the perceived extra comfort is good enough reason for me.

oldroadman

Veteran
You're completely wrong about the ratio being the same. These products vary the ratio and power requirements. That's the whole point.
You are obviously better informed than me. All I ever did was push pedals round. A few teams experimented with oval rings (as Sky did, or at least BW) but in the end everyone was back to "normal" rings. On which basis I guess either the marketeers would not pay enough or they didn't have any specific or perceived advantages. But of course, we may all have been wrong, nothings certain.

gds58

Über Member
Complete and utter nonsense!! this is not the point of Q rings at all. The ratio over the complete pedal revolution cannot possibly change (if the number of teeth are the same) but it's the way in which the power is applied throughout the stages of the pedal stroke that varies. Contrary to some of the nonsense which has been put on here, Rotor 'Q-Rings' do not give you more power. Your power output is what it is and cannot be increased by equipment but it can change the way in which your power is delivered and Q rings will help to smooth out the delivery of your power throughout the pedal stroke, thus utilising more of the stroke to deliver the power which in turn can have a (roughly) 7% gain in efficiency. I use Q-Rings on all my bikes (except my track bike!!) including cyclo-cross and I would definitely not go back to round rings again. They help to reduce the build up of Lactic acid in the muscles and will smooth out your pedalling if you have a slightly 'choppy' style. Velotech are the sole UK distributor for Rotor products and they are currently offering a trial period whereby you can buy Q rings and try them for 30 days and if you don't get on with them you can swap them back for round ones. There are positively no down sides to Q rings as some will feel more benefit than others, so I would urge anybody to try them. If you haven't tried them then please don't make misleading or speculative comments on here which will give incorrect advice to those who haven't yet tried them.
With regards to the shifting on the front mech' it is very slightly compromised but if set up correctly is hardly any different to normal. In any case how many times do you shift at the front compared to the rear!!
I am a qualified BG Fit technician (as authorised by Dr Andy Pruitt mentioned earlier) and I have seen how Q-Rings have benefitted many riders. In short, give them a try, you have nothing to lose and plenty, possibly to gain.
Thanks for taking time to read this rather lengthy post!
Graham

gds58

Über Member
You are obviously better informed than me. All I ever did was push pedals round. A few teams experimented with oval rings (as Sky did, or at least BW) but in the end everyone was back to "normal" rings. On which basis I guess either the marketeers would not pay enough or they didn't have any specific or perceived advantages. But of course, we may all have been wrong, nothings certain.
Teams didn't experiment with 'oval' rings but some individual riders such as Brad Wiggins and Chris Froome did use Osymetric Rings which have the power phase in a different position to Rotor Q Rings. Wiggins changed back to round rings as they didn't suit his pedalling style but Froome still used Osymetrics. There is currently only one rider on the Pro Circuit who is sponsored to use Rotor Q rings and that is Marianne Vos and her performances are way beyond question. No other UCI level pro riders use them simply because they are contracturally bound to use products from their own sponsors such as Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM etc. You will notice that the Osymetrics used by Froome are devoid of any markings and product branding in order to comply with his contracts and sponsors. Go to any lower level pro race such as one with domestic UK pro teams and Elite level riders and you will see plenty of riders using Q rings as they are not bound by restrictions on contracts and have a much more free range with regards to products that they can use.
All this info is not my own opinion, it is fact as is that in my previous post. I work in the industry and I have close links with companies and persons concerned.
Hope this all helps.
G

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
Teams didn't experiment with 'oval' rings but some individual riders such as Brad Wiggins and Chris Froome did use Osymetric Rings which have the power phase in a different position to Rotor Q Rings. Wiggins changed back to round rings as they didn't suit his pedalling style but Froome still used Osymetrics. There is currently only one rider on the Pro Circuit who is sponsored to use Rotor Q rings and that is Marianne Vos and her performances are way beyond question. No other UCI level pro riders use them simply because they are contracturally bound to use products from their own sponsors such as Shimano, Campagnolo, SRAM etc. You will notice that the Osymetrics used by Froome are devoid of any markings and product branding in order to comply with his contracts and sponsors. Go to any lower level pro race such as one with domestic UK pro teams and Elite level riders and you will see plenty of riders using Q rings as they are not bound by restrictions on contracts and have a much more free range with regards to products that they can use.
All this info is not my own opinion, it is fact as is that in my previous post. I work in the industry and I have close links with companies and persons concerned.
Hope this all helps.
G
I have a feeling that Marianne Vos would win if she was using square rings with extra fur attached from combing her cat! But your point is well made.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The increase in efficiency is a biomechanical one, as such for the same power delivered to the rear wheel, the physiological cost should be reduced. This is in keeping with what you are saying about the build up of lactic acid (which is not quite accurate btw, but that is just nit picking, we both know what you actually meant), if the build up of lactic acid is what is limiting your ability to produce power, and through one mechanism of another the chainrings reduce this build up, in theory, you should be able to produce more power over a given duration when using said chainrings.

Last edited:

montage

God Almighty
Ridden oval rings for a year. Went back to round.

Why? - compatibility across bikes, having oval on one bike, circular on the next is a pain. Accelerations felt slow, sprinting was noticeably impacted. Shifting wasn't much worse. Only real benefit was out of the saddle, low cadence on really steep stuff as you don't get to get stuck in the deadspot. Didn't have a power meter at the time so cannot give an indication on this data. My conclusion of oval rings? - they're a fad.

Spend the money on a good bike fitter instead, it will have three times the performance increase.

gds58

Über Member
Ridden oval rings for a year. Went back to round.

Why? - compatibility across bikes, having oval on one bike, circular on the next is a pain. Accelerations felt slow, sprinting was noticeably impacted. Shifting wasn't much worse. Only real benefit was out of the saddle, low cadence on really steep stuff as you don't get to get stuck in the deadspot. Didn't have a power meter at the time so cannot give an indication on this data. My conclusion of oval rings? - they're a fad.

Spend the money on a good bike fitter instead, it will have three times the performance increase.
I think you kind of answered your own question here where you stated that you have oval on one bike and round on another. In order for there to be a proper benefit you need to have the same on all your bikes whether round or oval. Q rings are not a 'fad' at all. A 'fad' is a short term following or enthusiasm for an idea or style and this cannot ever apply to Q rings. They have been around for a good few years, they are constantly increasing in their use and they will be around for a long while yet. i.e. Not a fad!

montage

God Almighty
I think you kind of answered your own question here where you stated that you have oval on one bike and round on another. In order for there to be a proper benefit you need to have the same on all your bikes whether round or oval. Q rings are not a 'fad' at all. A 'fad' is a short term following or enthusiasm for an idea or style and this cannot ever apply to Q rings. They have been around for a good few years, they are constantly increasing in their use and they will be around for a long while yet. i.e. Not a fad!

To be honest, describing them as a fad was a bit hasty. I did do 95% of my riding on the bike with the oval rings on, so it was a pretty fair test. The science does make sense....but they just did not feel right. I may have the opportunity to try out a range of Q rings in the near future - if that arises, I'll be sure to try and establish some kind of fair test and try them out.

I maintain that seeing a good bike fitter should remain a priority over Q rings though!

Top Bottom