Rotterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
You could have a ride through the Maastunnel.

https://www.rotterdam.nl/wonen-leven/maastunnel/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The UNESCO windmill park at Kinderdijk is 12 miles east on LF2, slightly less if you don't mind playing junction number bingo and using one or two of the few crap cycle lanes I've seen in Holland. I think it's worth a look if you've never been. The riverside cycle route to its west is more crap cycle lanes, so probably ride both ways through the park rather than make the obvious loop that side.

Delft is 10 miles away, Dordrecht and Gouda each 15. I think there may be medium distance ferries from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk and Dordrecht if you want a faster scenic ride one way.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Thanks but I'll stick in Rotterdam, I've been through many times but never had a good look around.

Decided to do the De Kuip tour and visit the Fenix food factory, I best do this last as beer is involved.....

Sixmile

Veteran
I'll be keeping an eye on recommendations. We're riding to Rotterdam in a few months.

Foto38-1024x571.jpg

I plan to pop round to the Markthal (market) though

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks but I'll stick in Rotterdam, I've been through many times but never had a good look around.
Sorry but you did say you were happy to ride around - how can you be happy to miss http://bromptoning.com/traveling-adventures/netherlands/cycle-route-rotterdam-kinderdijk/ - and is only an hour's riding really outside Rotterdam anyway? The city boundary is the river to the west of Kinderdijk... Wouldn't another big Rotterdam housing development have been there if it wasn't for Kinderdijk... I did wonder about suggesting Schoonhoven which I feel is more proper Dutch country town but that really would be outside Rotterdam :laugh:

My first time through Rotterdam on the train, another passenger said "it looks just like the Lakes Estate" and the thought has never completely gone from my mind on subsequent visits, although it's quite a bit better-kept than the Lakes.

Apparently there's an app with a city route on it but I can't figure out how to see the route without the farking app http://rotterdamroutes.nl/english/route/rotterdam-celebrates-the-city-cycle-route/ - and there's a 2017 Nieuwe Maas Tour with lots of viewing points https://www.rotterdam.nl/vrije-tijd/nieuwe-maasparcours/NMP-2017-routekaart.pdf which then led me to https://rotterdam.info/ontdek-rotterdam/fietsen-in-rotterdam-regio/ which also has a 10km Rotterdam Mini-tour (Rondje - not sure how to translate - neither Tour-ette nor Tour-lette sound great in English :laugh: ) as well as others and mentioning that farking app again.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
The Markthal is an interesting mix of residential and retail in one structure. The Cube houses are nearby, one of these is open for public viewing. Centraal Station is an impressive building, although I don't think you get to spot the trains unless you have a travel ticket^_^. The Erasmus Bridge is also an interesting structure with its separate lanes for pedestrians, cyclists, motorised vehicles and trams, and it opens for passing ships! Spido tours operates from a terminal beside the Bridge if you fancied a cruise on the river with a commentary of shoreside features. The Maritime Museum covers the port history up to the present day.
All of these places are within easy walking distance of central Rotterdam, it wouldn't be worth lugging a bike along.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Gotta ride over the Swan Bridge, go down to the old docks to nosy round the heritage boats and the cube houses, boat tour around the new docks

the stupid one

Über Member
Definitely have a ride across the bridges and along the riverside.

15490982518_b8591cd22f_c.jpg

15557218678_6db6189c3c_c.jpg

And the boat tour around the container port is really good, even when the weather is a bit glum.

15504540689_55311dafe0_z.jpg

I'd love to go back and try all the other recommendations above.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Well that went wonky.....woke up to the ferry morning tannoy, looked at my watch & went back to sleep, loads of time...

Woke up again to a last call, yikes, forgot to put my watch forward an hour! No time at all... cut myself shaving, threw on some clothes, grabbed my folder, hurtled off the ferry & jumped on the last bus.

Which took me to Amsterdam....

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Well that went wonky.....woke up to the ferry morning tannoy, looked at my watch & went back to sleep, loads of time...

Woke up again to a last call, yikes, forgot to put my watch forward an hour! No time at all... cut myself shaving, threw on some clothes, grabbed my folder, hurtled off the ferry & jumped on the last bus.

Which took me to Amsterdam....

Haha, much better destination though. Very pretty city. Rotterdam I found a bit boring.

Top Bottom