Rotterdam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Haha, much better destination though. Very pretty city. Rotterdam I found a bit boring.

Rotterdam is more of a working city than Amsterdam and a bit more difficult to get to know.

The old saying is that money is made in Rotterdam, divided up in the Hague and spent in Amsterdam.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Haha, much better destination though. Very pretty city. Rotterdam I found a bit boring.
Yes, but I've been umpteen times and although pretty, just like Barcelona, the crowds and tat get on your tits. It was Rotterdam I wanted to visit.:sad:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Rotterdam is more of a working city than Amsterdam and a bit more difficult to get to know.

The old saying is that money is made in Rotterdam, divided up in the Hague and spent in Amsterdam.

I do like to pop into Delft, one of the best burgers I've had was from Burgerz by the canal with a cold Hoegaarden.

Gouda is also very pretty in the Markt.

Last edited:
U

User169

I do like to pop into Delft, one of the best burgers I've had was from Burgerz by the canal with a cold Hoegaarden.

Gouda is also very pretty in the Markt.

Haven’t been there since it was a pancake joint owned by Chelsea leg end, Ken Monkou!

U

User169

Annoyingly I was often on my way home from Amsterdam area on a Monday, Burgerz is closed on a Monday, I never remembered that and was disappointed at least 3 times when I went to Delft especially for one.

Bad news I'm afraid Salty Seadog. Burgerz has closed!

Cycled past it today and there's renovation going on. Not sure what it's going to be.

snorri

Legendary Member
I remember my first visit to Rotterdam, it was on a Sunday and in a quiet part of the city a guy signalled as if he wanted to speak, nothing unusual about that for slow moving heavily laden cycle tourists^_^. I stopped, and as usual for these people he asked where I was going and where I was from, and I told him I lived near Inverness. "Ah! I was for two fortnights in the Red Rock Hotel in Inverness" he said, but I had never heard of the Red Rock Hotel and quizzed him regarding the location of the premises. After a little time he could see I was getting nowhere and said "HM Prison Porterfield, goodbye" and walked away. Immediately the penny dropped, I knew the prison was surrounded by a high red stone wall, but I did not know its nick name (geddit nickname?). Anyway, my new found friend thought I would not wish to converse further with an ex prison inmate:sad:.
Which just confirms my belief that when cycle touring, the people you meet add much to the memories of the tour:smile:.

U

User169

I had just added Burgerz to my day 1 itinerary going by the posts above and then I scrolled down..

There’s still a couple of branches in The Hague. Are you visiting Delft or R’dam?

Top Bottom