Rough chain after maintenance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've mentioned elsewhere that my chain was a bit rough in certain gears, and the main advice was to clean it. The roughness seemed to be generally improving but on the weekend I gave the chain a thorough going over with WD40, hot soapy water, two old toothbrushes and an assorment of smonged ans rages sponges and rags. Once clean and shiny I lubed the chain and carefully removed any excess.

csrm-jpg.jpg

Now it's worse than ever.

I seem to remember having a simiilar problem on another bike: the chain felt really bad after I cleaned and lubed, but got better. Has anyone else had this experience, and oif so, what did you do about it?

Last edited:
Have you thought about cleaning the cassette? It looks absolutely filthy and will undo all your hard work and perhaps it is contributing to the problem? Have you checked for an elongated chain?

Have you thought about cleaning the cassette? It looks absolutely filthy and will undo all your hard work and perhaps it is contributing to the problem? Have you checked for an elongated chain?
yep I was wondering if andy had checked the chain length/wear. I've checked one or two chains (maybe not carefully enough) gone through all the hassle of cleaning them, and THEN found that they are worn and had to bin them. Doh!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think @bikingdad90 is being unkind about your sprockets (is it a cassette)?: it's not 'clean' but what block ever is?
Would help if you described what you mean by 'chain a bit rough'. In the meantime, measure 10 one inch links with a decent rule and if the distance is over 257mm, think about a new chain. If over 258mm fit a new chain. If the new chain slips on one or more sprockets, procure and fit a new block.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Think @bikingdad90 is being unkind about your sprockets (is it a cassette)?: it's not 'clean' but what block ever is?
Would help if you described what you mean by 'chain a bit rough'. In the meantime, measure 10 one inch links with a decent rule and if the distance is over 257mm, think about a new chain. If over 258mm fit a new chain. If the new chain slips on one or more sprockets, procure and fit a new block.

That's pretty dirty.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Agree with comments about checking chain wear and it is also worth checking that the end of your gear cable isn't trapped in the rear derailleur - can't see clearly from your picture. (Worse after maintenance may be the clue?)
The visible jockey wheel looks moderately worn - but the one not visible in your photo tends to wear a bit quicker so worth looking at that too.

faster

Über Member
This is my experience exactly.

Any attempt at thorough cleaning, or indeed anything that washes out the original grease results in a chain that is noisy, wears quickly and is pretty much fit for the bin.

I get the best results by wiping the outside of the chain clean with a rag with WD40 or similar on it (don't spray the chain directly) then adding wet lube. Never clean thoroughly imo.

This results in a quiet, long lasting, but not particularly clean looking chain.

davidphilips

Veteran
Maybe just the picture but your jockey wheel bearings look worn out, have to agree with bikingdad90 about the cassette.

Could be a number of things causing your problems best way is to check every thing for wear (chain, cassette, cables and jockey wheels) replace any thing worn and really clean every thing if you get your fingers dirty when touching any thing in your drive chain etc then its dirty and needs proper cleaning.

If every thing is clean and not worn then its either adjustment or some thing bent or broken?

si_c

Guru
I've had it a couple of times with a filthy chain that I've checked the wear and it's been fine, but once run through the sonic cleaner and relubed the chain then registers as worn.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Lubing a chain, when it's at all dirty, washes grit into the rollers, and it takes a while to come out or be crushed.

To really clean a chain, it needs to come off the bike and be soaked in solvent, then in very hot soapy water, then rinsed and quickly dried (low oven). Then re-lube.

Top Bottom