Round the Harbours 8th June 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoyo

Is anyone doing Round the Harbours on 8th June or is it too tame for folk on here? Me and Him are going but I can't find info on the route and the BHF website is awful - can't register or pay up front. Does anyone here know what the route is so that I can warn Him or say nothing!!

longers

Legendary Member
Wrong part of the country from here :biggrin:.

I had a look and couldn't find any route info either :wacko:.
I think Mr Yoyo and yourself will have a grand day out :biggrin:.

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, lots of mentions on Google, mainly with the text given out by the BHF. Everything you would want to know - except the route. It sounds a good ride.

Mortiroloboy

Yoyo, just one tip, stay on the landward side, don't try cycling on the wet stuff! I'll be doing the Highclere Sportive that day, but I'm sure you and Mr Yoyo will have a grand day out.

My wife and I helped pioneer this ride when it was a BikeWeek event co-ordinated by the local Councils.

The route has changed , but is roughly...

Gosport (Bay House School) to Stokes Bay and along the front to the Gosport Ferry.

Cross to Portsmouth and along the sea front to Eastney and the Hayling Island Ferry.

Pick up the Hayling Billy Trail and follow this to Havant, than via Badhampton and along the crest of Portsdown Hill, before descending into Fareham.

From Fareham via Stubbington and back to Gosport.

Good ride, with a long ascent from Bedhampton, and spectacular views from the top if the weather is good.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I shall stay quiet about the long ascent!! Hopefully the weather will be kind.

yoyo said:
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I shall stay quiet about the long ascent!! Hopefully the weather will be kind.

Good news is the Churchillian Pub is at the top of the climb!

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Alas, we don't drink!! Very boring we are! But thank you for your information here and elsewhere.

PaulM

Guru
Round he Harbours participants

There are a number of Southampton & Portsmouth IVC members who will be doing the ride. We will be starting from the Fareham checkpoint probably quite late. I will find out more tomorrow.

I prefer to ride the recumbent trike these days, but might have difficulty getting it on the ferries so I migh have to dust off my old Raleigh.

OP
OP
Y

yoyo

Well we did it in three hours. Portsdown Hill is a mere doddle after the Berkshire Hills. Even Mr Yoyo was laughing his head off at it. Fantastic weather even if the route was a bit busy. Only saw one recumbent trike when we finished at Gosport. Lovely day.

Top Bottom