Roundabouts seem to be this week's "thing" for me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
That one is a baddie. I've normally been over that roundabout when they've managed to get it gridlocked by similar behaviour in slow motion :biggrin:. As with the other roundabout, the problems are that roundabouts that are traffic dominant in a particular direction get this sort of behaviour where people drive on/edge aggressively out because so many vehicles go in that direction they believe they have right of way.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Yes, it usually is gridlocked..though I've had a closer, faster near miss on there - this one I could see he was going to plough straight on so was braking before he entered the RAB

Ironic that being the end of the week I decided not to ride up the hill to the university and take Brook Hill roundabout since I was feeling a little tired and had a close-ish call on there jst the other day - thought I'd take the less hazardous route! :rolleyes:

BSRU

A Human Being
Yes, it usually is gridlocked..though I've had a closer, faster near miss on there - this one I could see he was going to plough straight on so was braking before he entered the RAB

Ironic that being the end of the week I decided not to ride up the hill to the university and take Brook Hill roundabout since I was feeling a little tired and had a close-ish call on there jst the other day - thought I'd take the less hazardous route! :rolleyes:

Often motorists approach RAB's far too fast to give themselves enough time to look properly or judge other road users speed correctly.

Ben1982

Often motorists approach RAB's far too fast to give themselves enough time to look properly or judge other road users speed correctly.

I've often found in the car, that some roundabouts round here, some drivers will stop (or nearly stop) when there is nothing on or anywhere near the roundabout!.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Oh and it's roundabouts again today...honestly...dozy drivers are worse than aggressive ones sometimes..aggressive ones are at least more predictable

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRMO-xlYIDQ[/media]

If he'd taken the correct lane he'd have been away much earlier.

What you can't see is that I normally go as fast as possible around that RAB - I don't like being on it too long - but eased off slightly right at the end because I spotted the driver making repeated glances to the N/S wing mirror which was almost as good as a last minute indicator, otherwise I'd have been right alongside instead of just behind the nearside rear

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would say 90% of my near misses occur on roundabouts. Usually motorists who approach them far too fast, without looking!

+1

I tend to avoid the ones where I am in the 'shooting gallery' now..... i.e. riding past two entry lanes to a RAB from a fast road....... although, the 30 mph dual carriageway entrance to my 'off' roundabout, is a damn site worse than the two exit lanes from the M60 a few miles before - get that - no probs on the motorway to road RAB, loads on a small RAB.........

I still use the RAB I was 'off'ed on from different directions, but not coming home in the direction I did......due to a cyclist's vulnerability........... (PS I'm a stubborn nut..... but I avoid this route home now....)......

TBH, I feel safer on some of the big 4 lane RAB's, so long as I feel up for a sprint, and chuck the bike about in the lane on full acceleration - no converging traffic as it's traffic light controlled, so you have to scare the drivers behind you not to try an overtake........ works....... :tongue:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I seem to remember reading research that showed that a startling proportion of drivers are confused by roundabouts. Many cheerfully admitted that they didn't understand how to signal, which lane they should be in, who has priority...

And it shows on the road!

That roundabout (OP) looks pretty badly designed imo - entries are hardly flared at all so motorists can straight line it at speed and the street furniture and traffic lights obscure traffic coming from your direction. I would be surprised if he even saw you tbh.

The red Yaris is just a numpty who doesn't know how to use a roundabout.

I like roundabouts though, even mini-roundabouts and the really huge ones. I think they're safer than many other junctions so long as you remain vigilant, cycle confidently and don't dawdle.

Windward

*sigh*

Two near misses today, both head on into my side with the drivers coming to a stop a foot before hitting me... I don't like putting my life into the hands of the cars brakes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Had one myself yesterday. I stop for traffic to my right, and some James Blunt in a big van comes steaming past me inches away and across the front of the RAB traffic.

Top Bottom