Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DinasBran

As a cyclist, I don't much like roundabouts and especially the big and busy multilane ones. Any advice on how to tackle these beasts from a cyclists viewpoint? What's the best strategy for making a right hand turn on a multilane roundabout or if you want to go straight on, but there are no lane markers to say which lane to get in (left, middle or right) what do people tend to do? So far (fingers crossed),the only time I've been knocked off my bike was on a roundabout and I had a very hair raising experience last night - so I'm quite apprehensive about the buggers!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
it takes guts, but just ride fast and behave as if you were a car, ride in the middle of lanes, and don't let anyone push past

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Take the lane you need and would do in a car. It takes some getting used to but you soon feel fine. I do a two lane round about everyday and when turning right, i go in the right hand lane, signal and go for it. I go around faster then the cars and signal left before the exit i need, check behind me and move over.
Relax when you do it aswell and take the middle of the lane and if you can go that bit faster.

Maz

Guru
Eye contact, eye contact and more eye contact with any driver approaching the roundabout. When I indicate, I show the palm of my hand to the drivers like a "stop" sign (it turns to a thumbs-up when they stop) for added effect.

It took some guts on my part to turn right on the 70 dual-carriage roundabout on my commute. I used to chicken out of it when I first started commuting it.

HelenD123

Guru
As the others have said, choose the same lane as you would in a car, cycle in the middle of the lane, go as fast as possible and make eye contact. I was very nervous about a large roundabout on my route but actually find it safer to use the road than the cycle path round it. The cycle path is stupidly designed so that you have to cross 3 lanes of traffic trying to get onto the roundabout and none of the drivers notice cyclists waiting to cross.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Agree with above and would add to make sure you keep your speed up

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
When turning right, a good oustretched left arm signal at your exit seems to discourage cars trying to cut inside your left.
If there are no lane markers take a strong primary, if you don't you stand a good chance of a left hook by somebody taking the 1st exit.
You have to be assertive on roundabouts, think how many drivers nearly have your wing off by straight lining when you're in a car turning right.

Check the sign-writing on lorries waiting to pull out, foreign left hand drive equals a near certain pull out as you approach.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Maz said:
When I indicate, I show the palm of my hand to the drivers like a "stop" sign (it turns to a thumbs-up when they stop) for added effect.

Nice tip, I'll give that a go.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
palinurus said:
Nice tip, I'll give that a go.

Works if someone has waited behind you to give you more room or hasnt been able to pass you because they cant fit. I found some people dont squeeze past you and will even move over some more when they pass.

briank

Yes! Commitment and eye contact are key.
The kind of eye contact matters too. The town's largest roundabout is 80 yards from my house: when I set out, I'm generally tidy and obviously human: on the way back I'm often lathered up with sweat and snot and have me eyeballs out on stalks.
Maybe it's because this creates the impression that anyone who cuts me up is likely to have their face ripped off, but I do find cars give me a wider berth as I return than when I set off.:wacko:

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, assertiveness, behave like a car and keep your speed up.

But always remember that someone else on the roundabout may be a nutter. That isn't life-critical in a car, on a bike it is. Have an exit route in case the assertiveness etc isn't enough.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I can't believe that no-one's mentioned the venerable 'Cyclecraft' by John Franklin yet - it has plenty of advice on how to handle roundabouts.

(It used to be the book quoted by many on here when I first found these forums.)

zimzum42 said:
it takes guts, but just ride fast and behave as if you were a car, ride in the middle of lanes, and don't let anyone push past

That's really all there is to say on the subject, apart from it gets easier as your confidence builds. Oh, and don't forget, if you're signalling you've only got half your brakes and steering - I signal as little as possible on roundabouts for that reason.

Top Bottom