Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
goo_mason said:
D'oh !! I completely forgot. In which case I'll repeat in a loud, exasperated Glaswegian accent:

"Have you read Cyclecraft ? Have you ?"

:wacko:

I havent. Learn by doing.:angry:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've never even seen a copy of cyclecraft, but I ride some of the busiest roads around, multi-lane affairs, and I'm not fazed.

It's cos I've been riding on the road for years.

Just get out and ride on the road, you'll work out the best way to do it.

But, like I said earlier, if you want some tips, ride aggressively and behave like a car when it comes to junctions, roundabouts etc.

asterix

Comrade Member
Roundabouts are classic SMIDSY territory IMO, when people entering them don't see the cyclist. This is especially true when the surrounding scenery is a bit cluttered, maybe background trees or badly placed roadsigns.

On a York roundabout a roadsign was perfectly placed so a cyclist would be hidden just as they approached an entry point. Having been nearly clobbered (both the motorist and I stopped just in time) I complained to the council and it has been relocated).

OP
OP
D

DinasBran

Thanks for all the advice guys (and girls) - just a matter of putting it into practice now. I think I've got a tendancy not to hold my own in the lane and let the traffic push me to the left - in the past I've usually got off and walked around the roundabout but that's just as much hasle as tackling the roundabout straight on.

Night Train

Maker of Things
As has been said, I usually tackle roundabouts by getting myself ready for a huge burst of speed and I cycle and position as I would driving. I use big clear signals and look around a lot for escape routes. I also sit as upright as I can so I can see over the cars.
I would also conceed position to another vehicle if it would put me in a less risky position, say, a car passing on the left even though it shouldn't, though I have been known to stick out a left hand in front of windscreens to signal my intension to change lanes.
I have found that if I am cycling as fast as I can and in the middle of the lane then cars will acknowledge that and let me carry on until I reach my exit, then they speed past!

A mate of mine slipped over on his bike in ice on a huge roundabout in rush hour. The cars just went round him and he was stuck in the middle of the road for ages.

On the subject in hand I agree it it down to attitude. I would even say ride the roundabout not the bike!

The helpful council here put in lovely cycle lanes that stop ten yards short of the main roundabouts and then start ten yards on the other side.

Top Bottom