Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
To be fair, that's pretty much true of cars as well, yet most sensible drivers don't go around ramming people in the dark because of it.
It's not the sensible drivers I worry about!

My roundabout technique is pretty much the same as others on here : use eyes & ears to be very aware of other road users, make big clear signals, be confident, take the lane.

But two other thoughts occur:
1) I don't bother trying to make eye-contact with any driver. If that sounds dodgy it's because I want to be continuously reviewing ALL my surroundings rather than fixating on a specific driver.

and

2) I go hell for leather, because large speed differentials seem a big dodgy. Feels better to match car speeds.

Of course, feeling safe and being safe are not always the same thing.

+1 on that. eye contact can mean different things to diff. ppl. meaning, the driver may think you see then & will yield to them! agh!
I look for it, amongst other things, as it might suggest how they might react but I don't assume anything from it. As you say some people treat it one way, and pause/stop, where others treat it completely the other way, 'it's ok, they've seen me and can avoid me so I can plough on'. I forget the terminology for the two mindsets but it is impossible for a rider to tell.
You also have the people who looked and did not see, they are staring right through you :okay:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I look for it, amongst other things, as it might suggest how they might react but I don't assume anything from it. As you say some people treat it one way, and pause/stop, where others treat it completely the other way, 'it's ok, they've seen me and can avoid me so I can plough on'. I forget the terminology for the two mindsets but it is impossible for a rider to tell.
You also have the people who looked and did not see, they are staring right through you :okay:
That happened to me yesterday when a white van man decided to do a U-turn in the road as I started to pass.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
that's my Wife in a crowd. she can be looking right at me, w/ me waving at her. doesn't see me, but then she doesn't have the best eyesight
Or it's deliberate

Top Bottom