Roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
which is:
1. Lovely for those of you that can do it but useless for the rest of us; and
2. Not gonna happen for you on some of the 40mph oval racetracks either!
One of my scariest ever moments was when I'd got my first MTB with proper 'knobbly' tyres, I went flat out into a roundabout nearby that I turn right at (downhill approach) the amount of tyre 'squirm' meant I couldn't hold any kind of line, scared the crap out of me.:eek:

Lovacott

Über Member
One of my scariest ever moments was when I'd got my first MTB with proper 'knobbly' tyres, I went flat out into a roundabout nearby that I turn right at (downhill approach) the amount of tyre 'squirm' meant I couldn't hold any kind of line, scared the crap out of me.:eek:
I pump my MTB tyres up until my biceps can't pump them up anymore.

Like concrete they are.

Drago

Legendary Member
Take your time. Be assertive and clear cut with your lane keeping and lane changing. Be very deliberate and clear with indicating.

And for the love of Trump, use your eyes. Don't stare steadfastly straight ahead like most cyclists do, which is a stress reaction related to the fight or flight response - loom all round and keep doing it.

Dont rely on hi vis - theres an urban clutter effect in town, and a camouflage effect in the tryside against a green background, so while it may arguably make you more conspicuous you won't necessarily be better seen. Bright red or white are better colours for actually being observed by other road users.

If anyone is especially nice or courteous then give them a wave or a nod so they'll be more inclinded to do it next time they meet one of us.

D

Deleted member 1258

Take your time. Be assertive and clear cut with your lane keeping and lane changing. Be very deliberate and clear with indicating.

And for the love of Trump, use your eyes. Don't stare steadfastly straight ahead like most cyclists do, which is a stress reaction related to the fight or flight response - loom all round and keep doing it.

Dont rely on hi vis - theres an urban clutter effect in town, and a camouflage effect in the tryside against a green background, so while it may arguably make you more conspicuous you won't necessarily be better seen. Bright red or white are better colours for actually being observed by other road users.

If anyone is especially nice or courteous then give them a wave or a nod so they'll be more inclinded to do it next time they meet one of us.

Nailed it in one.

Mike_P

Guru
Make that indicating clearly as well, seem to be increasing numbers who indication is that momentarily a blink could miss it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Don't use another vehicle as a shield to assume it's safe to set off, as you might do when driving. I did it once and the artic to my right picked up speed faster than I anticipated. I was then a sitting duck for the car driver coming from my right aiming just behind the rear of the artic and picking up speed to join the motorway to my left. I just got in front of the car; however it was a seriously scary moment.

Don't use another vehicle as a shield to assume it's safe to set off, as you might do when driving. I did it once and the artic to my right picked up speed faster than I anticipated. I was then a sitting duck for the car driver coming from my right aiming just behind the rear of the artic and picking up speed to join the motorway to my left. I just got in front of the car; however it was a seriously scary moment.
This. Don't use anything you can't see over the top of as a guide as to whether it's ok to set off, because any drivers on the other side of the "shield" cannot see you.

Plus, when you're dealing with long wheelbase vehicles or truck+trailers, the rear wheels take a much shorter, tighter path around corners when compared to that taken by the front wheels, and so the gap you're riding in can suddenly disappear without warning.

This (plus the vast blindspots on most truck cabs) is the reason why so many cyclist fatalities involve left-turning trucks.

Drago

Legendary Member
The thing that bothers me on roundabouts at night is that as you pass each entrance, your lights aren't very visible to cars trying to join.
Some lights are more visible form the side. reflectors on spokes are good too.
To be fair, that's pretty much true of cars as well, yet most sensible drivers don't go around ramming people in the dark because of it.

Reactions: mjr
if I had to navigate a roundabout that has pedestrian crossings, I might be inclined to use them, at least once to see if it was safer. especially if there was a cross signal. I have a favorite near me that used to be on a regular 30 mile out-&-back loop I was doing. I got pretty good at navigating it as a 2 wheeled vehicle, altho I admit mistakes. things change so quickly, that, 1 second it's seems like a good idea to launch but then on hind sight, you wish you hadn't

the challenge is the same as in a car. when to enter? what speed to use? (not that a bike has much choice) & using signals

View: https://youtu.be/i2U4WVsMrNo

View: https://youtu.be/Wjzv0E0yyx4

jump to 1 min mark (camera facing back)

View: https://youtu.be/CDKlczCAHwU

alicat

Legendary Member
This. Don't use anything you can't see over the top of as a guide as to whether it's ok to set off, because any drivers on the other side of the "shield" cannot see you.

This is so true, even when driving. If the driver setting off stalls, there is a risk of collision.

mustang1

Guru
Depending on how busy the roundabout is, I have to get a bit aggressive. Luckily I can just about keep up with the speed of traffic but yes they are daunting. Really, for new cyclists, I would tell.tbem to take their time and just use the footpath and walk along or something. Its a pita and you should not have to do that but the reality is drivers are I a hurry, you cannot tell which way they will exit, they seem to.be INA n extra hurry lest another driver gets in their way, it's too damn dangerous and until you're confident and fast, I would just stay off.

if I had to navigate a roundabout that has pedestrian crossings, I might be inclined to use them, at least once to see if it was safer. especially if there was a cross signal. I have a favorite near me that used to be on a regular 30 mile out-&-back loop I was doing. I got pretty good at navigating it as a 2 wheeled vehicle, altho I admit mistakes. things change so quickly, that, 1 second it's seems like a good idea to launch but then on hind sight, you wish you hadn't

the challenge is the same as in a car. when to enter? what speed to use? (not that a bike has much choice) & using signals

View: https://youtu.be/i2U4WVsMrNo

View: https://youtu.be/Wjzv0E0yyx4

jump to 1 min mark (camera facing back)

View: https://youtu.be/CDKlczCAHwU

I don't want to be critical, and I'm not sure if the rules are different over there, but I would never go up the outside of a vehicle unless I'm turning off at the first exit, because a) you're invisible to traffic already on the roundabout, and b) If the guy on the lane to your inside changes his mind and wants to turn off, you've nowhere to go.

The lack of lane markings on the roundabout itself makes it more difficult to judge where to ride, but if you have to change lane, and indicate your intentions to do so to other traffic on your inside, it means that your positioning is wrong before you even got onto the roundabout.

This riding round the outside edge before moving across stuff gives me the same anxiety that riding straight ahead on a road with on-ramps and off-ramps does.

TL;DR If your progress across a roundabout requires people already on the roundabout to yield to you, you're in the wrong position

Top Bottom