rounded allen bolt on brake calipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

The saddest thing is that it is depriving someone of using her bike, especially given the recent lovely weather. Also the more people on bikes the more recognition from car drivers hopefully and the improvement to our nations health.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. I don't know why you quoted me to say it though :smile:

Svendo

Guru
Cutting a slot for a flat screw driver has been mentioned above. A similar alternative I've used on a seized and rounded bottle cage bolt was to file opposite sides flat to enable adjustable spanner (or better still mole grips) to get lots of purchase, which worked. Also WD40 or penetrating oil on the bolt forst to reduce the force needed, which probably caused the rounding in the first place (along with lack of mechanical sympathy from a so-called professional.)

yello

A similar alternative I've used on a seized and rounded bottle cage bolt was to file opposite sides flat to enable adjustable spanner (or better still mole grips) to get lots of purchase, which worked.

Yes, I'd forgotten that one! Works a treat :thumbsup:

OP
OP
stuart smith

stuart smith

thx for all the suggestions guys, sorry for the delay in replying, i'm on day 11 of 12 of a charity bike ride and not had time to get online. some great suggestions for getting it sorted, some won't work because of how the small bolt head sits within the caliper around it. i've got a good couple of options though, think between the hammered in torx bit/glued in allen key/screw-bolt extractor i'll get it out, just gotta find some spare tektro bolts now.

Very disappointed in the mechanics behavior, i think as he's given the bike back not admitting what he's done i've no chance of getting him to put it right, and for a little fix and the cost of a bolt i'll get the job done myself now. The breaks have started squeeking in a vibrating was now too since he's 'cleaned' the pads so i'll be posting on that soon if i can't find an answer in the forum.

THANKS AGAIN

Top Bottom