Rounded off thru axle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So is it a complicated job to sort out? Do you know roughly how long it takes to remove the axle (its rounded off badly)? Cheers

Normally I would say about an hour, but it depends on the technique used and/or how bad it is messed up. It takes 15 mins of scratching your backside, looking at the job and working out the best way of approaching it before you even start!

OP
OP
bbvelo

bbvelo

Regular
Does anyone reckon some of that gorilla steel epoxy stuff would get the axle out if you put a hex key into the stripped bolt and surrounded it with the epoxy so it permanently welds the hex key in? Then you can just manually untighten the axle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Does anyone reckon some of that gorilla steel epoxy stuff would get the axle out if you put a hex key into the stripped bolt and surrounded it with the epoxy so it permanently welds the hex key in? Then you can just manually untighten the axle.

Doubt it. You need tools to remove it, and the best way is via the stripped hex slot. My Maxel is QR and I'll be honest, they are made of cheese (the QR bit) - you've got to be careful. There is 'soft' alloy, where you'd rather it was steel.

keithmac

Guru
So is it a complicated job to sort out? Do you know roughly how long it takes to remove the axle (its rounded off badly)? Cheers

All depends on what they have to work with to be fair!.

I've got/ bought /made a fair few tools to remove stripped allen bolts, seized in studs etc but if someone's been in before and completely mullered it then it makes it far more difficult!.

Should be relatively straight forward, I'd be tempted to knock a spline bit in the end, bit of heat on the threaded end and a bit of persuasion.

Half of it is tools, half technique!.

Just done this with my axle. I should have replaced them both when the front axle thread went, but never got round to it. That'll teach me. Hopefully the LBS can fix it.

IMG_20220529_213710.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: C R

keithmac

Guru
Snap-on do a set off allen keys for partial rounded bolts, they cam-in to the head.

I use them on none rounded bolts too (especially 5mm), doesn't damage the head and will not slip/ strip the heads.

20220530_175444.jpg

Top Bottom