Route Advice Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
When I did it, it just used the main drag going over a major roundabout that's no place for cyclists at rush hour. I suppose I might not have set the right parameters or it could be I'm just a big fearty.

You need to switch on the Heat Map option and then plot the route along the red routes. If you do a simple A and B then it will pick the shortest route. Using the Heat Map as a guide you can plot precisely along the routes that local cyclists are using which are usually the best roads for cycles.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Is the wooden walkway you mentioned on a Sustrans route?
Wet wood is lethal. Any wooden bridges etc on cycle routes should have a grippy surface.
No, I don't expect it will be. I followed a small track Trying to find a way under the motorway. I thought I better try every avenue before giving up, but by the time I realised I should never ever have been there with a bike, I was halfway through.

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/article/boardwalk-boost-for-airports-hidden-wildlife-garden/
You need to switch on the Heat Map option and then plot the route along the red routes. If you do a simple A and B then it will pick the shortest route. Using the Heat Map as a guide you can plot precisely along the routes that local cyclists are using which are usually the best roads for cycles.

I'm a bit of a technophobe, but I'll persevere with it to see if I can get it to work for me.

dim

Take a train to Bishopton Station and buy a cheap bike with a good lock that you can lock up at the station every night on your way home (or get a foldable bike such as a Bromton) .... then take the old Greenlock road to work ... it could be a good 6km ride if you do it at a good pace

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Take a train to Bishopton Station and buy a cheap bike with a good lock that you can lock up at the station every night on your way home (or get a foldable bike such as a Bromton) .... then take the old Greenlock road to work ... it could be a good 6km ride if you do it at a good pace
I can see the attraction. I stayed in Dumbarton for a couple of years when I first started commuting. It was daunting at first, but I soon Sussed out a route using either quiet roads or cycle track. It feels a bit like I'm starting again, confidence is low but I'll just need to get out and do it before I loose the will altogether.

dim

I can see the attraction. I stayed in Dumbarton for a couple of years when I first started commuting. It was daunting at first, but I soon Sussed out a route using either quiet roads or cycle track. It feels a bit like I'm starting again, confidence is low but I'll just need to get out and do it before I loose the will altogether.

I was the same .... I crapped myself the 1st time that I had to ride through Cambridge city during rush hours.... you get used to it (main problem here are student cyclists)

be bold when you have to (at traffic circles, move to the centre) ....

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Yeah, I've done all that, and I know once I do it, I'll be fine. When I was coming from the other direction, it was fairly easy to manage how much contact you had with traffic, yet there was still some that wanted the space I was occupying. This side is a bit different,really busy and some still half asleep.

dim

Yeah, I've done all that, and I know once I do it, I'll be fine. When I was coming from the other direction, it was fairly easy to manage how much contact you had with traffic, yet there was still some that wanted the space I was occupying. This side is a bit different,really busy and some still half asleep.

I've seen a few cyclists have near misses at traffic circles. The bike lane is on the left, if you are taking the 2nd or 3rd exit, the car next to you at the beginning of the traffic circle looks right to see for cars (with the intension of taking the 1st side road), and starts moving still looking to the right. He/she do not see you as they are looking in the opposite direction

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I've seen a few cyclists have near misses at traffic circles. The bike lane is on the left, if you are taking the 2nd or 3rd exit, the car next to you at the beginning of the traffic circle looks right to see for cars (with the intension of taking the 1st side road), and starts moving still looking to the right. He/she do not see you as they are looking in the opposite direction
Funny, that was one of the first questions I asked when I came on this forum. I was having problems with one in particular trying to behave like a car until one driver had to slam on the brakes and abort their exit or they would have driven right in to me and go back round for another attempt. Now I cycle middle of the lane and claim my ground. It never happened again after that, so lesson learned for me.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've cycled round a busy St James roundabout more than a few times and found it not too bad as traffic volume is high and therefore speeds are limited. But you do need to be confident to take your place on the road. I generally go that way when I'm heading for the Erskine Bridge - though not at rush hour, to be fair.

Coming in to Paisley from Barrhead there is a cycle track which will bring you into Glenburn road. I would use that and then come down Gleniffer Road / Neilston Road into the centre of Paisley and use Love St to go down past the airport onto the old A8 and into Inchinnan that way.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Looking at Google's suggestion then St James is the shortest route at 7.4 miles. I stayed in Bishopton for 18 years and there were no traffic lights at St James roundabout then and I never had a problem on that roundabout, also used to draft behind the WH Malcolm tippers as they went along the Barnsford Rd and I could keep up with them until they reached 45mph then they dropped me.

This is 9.5 miles
Station, Grahamston Rd, Hawkhead Rd, Arkleston Rd, Paisley Rd, Inchinnan Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

This is 9.1 miles
Station, Caplethill Rd, Neilston Rd, Causeyside St, Gordon St, Mill St, Weir St, Love St, Inchinnan Rd, Abbotsinch Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

That's about the two shortest routes I can see, there are lots that take you another 5 or 6 miles that would make for an interesting ride but I guess when its a commute you don't want that
I got Waylaid earlier, so didn't get to cycle your route, but I'm just back from driving your route and despite getting a bit lost at Arkleston cemetery, I reckon it's bang on for me. It feels your going the wrong way for a bit, but it's certainly within my capabilities. Thanks for your help.

I've cycled round a busy St James roundabout more than a few times and found it not too bad as traffic volume is high and therefore speeds are limited. But you do need to be confident to take your place on the road. I generally go that way when I'm heading for the Erskine Bridge - though not at rush hour, to be fair.

Coming in to Paisley from Barrhead there is a cycle track which will bring you into Glenburn road. I would use that and then come down Gleniffer Road / Neilston Road into the centre of Paisley and use Love St to go down past the airport onto the old A8 and into Inchinnan that way.

I reckon I'll be a bit more comfortable in the day light. I know it shouldn't make a difference and it's probably more in my own mind, but I always get a feeling some of them are not paying attention.

I've seen bits and pieces of cycle track coming down that way, I've just never been able to work out if they are any good or not. I'll give it a go in the spring when I'm a bit more used with the Paisley traffic.

Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: GGJ

GGJ

Veteran
I got Waylaid earlier, so didn't get to cycle your route, but I'm just back from driving your route and despite getting a bit lost at Arkleston cemetery, I reckon it's bang on for me. It feels your going the wrong way for a bit, but it's certainly within my capabilities. Thanks for your help.

It's a starting point, you can always tweak the route once you know your way round :okay:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
It's a starting point, you can always tweak the route once you know your way round :okay:
It's taken me a while to give it a go, but I cycled your suggestion today. I really enjoyed it, and felt quite a sense of achievement when I got home tonight. As a proper reward for seeing me home safe, I gave the trusty steed a good wash and rinse, oiled the chain and gears and got her ready for Thursday morning. Well, you don't want to be over doing things.
Thanks again.

GGJ

Veteran
Glad it worked our for you, once the better weather arrives there are plenty routes to choose from to save the boredom creeping in

Top Bottom