Route Advice Please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I was going to post this in the Scottish blethering thread, but I thought it might have interrupted the meet up discussion.

I'm trying to get through Paisley without getting run over. I've done the Google thing, I've been on the Sustrans, and eventually I drove down to work today at Inchinnan, then tried to cycle back without going over St James roundabout. First attempt saw me at the airport, then I nearly came a cropper at the nature reserve cycling over timber raised walkways all with a road bike. Eventually, I headed to Renfrew and got to Gilmour street, but it seemed like a long way for a short cut. Now I know that we back route exists, I was thinking about cycling from Barhead to Inchinnan in the day light, but would appreciate some advice from anybody who uses this or similar route.

Thanks.

You might want to change the subject so people know which route you want advice about.

But I'd like to pitch https://www.strava.com/routes/new (your probably have to create an account, but you don't have to ever use it). It allows you to plot routes based on what roads are popular with cyclists - who will be local cyclists. It's not much good for me near home (I'm near Richmond Park so all routes go via there) but it might work for your problem.

GGJ

Veteran
Lots of routes you could take, depends how many or few miles you want to add to the shortest route, how much climbing you wish to tackle. Stick up approximate area in Barrhead and Inchinnan and I'll give you a few options. A quick Google makes it around 8½ miles

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Lots of routes you could take, depends how many or few miles you want to add to the shortest route, how much climbing you wish to tackle. Stick up approximate area in Barrhead and Inchinnan and I'll give you a few options. A quick Google makes it around 8½ miles
It's a bit more from where I'm starting from but it's simple enough to get down to Barrhead train station, so use that as a starting point. I used the strava suggestion but it takes you over St James which I really want to avoid. As its a commute, I'm looking for shortest route possible for the moment. I can add or subtract when I find my feet. I'm going to Barnsford Avenue at Inchinnan and will be travelling reasonably early mornings but rush hour going home.

Thanks for your input.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I was going to post this in the Scottish blethering thread, but I thought it might have interrupted the meet up discussion.
Eh? But of course you wouldn't have, feel free to pop in the Bru thread anytime :smile:
Anyway, I only know how to get to Paisley from Glasgow, but I see @GGJ has already answered you.
I too am always interested in new routes that won't get you flattened at mega roundabouts!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Eh? But of course you wouldn't have, feel free to pop in the Bru thread anytime :smile:
Anyway, I only know how to get to Paisley from Glasgow, but I see @GGJ has already answered you.
I too am always interested in new routes that won't get you flattened at mega roundabouts!
I know I could, I just didn't want to interrupt so I thought I would try my luck here. I knew it really needed a local.

GGJ

Veteran
Looking at Google's suggestion then St James is the shortest route at 7.4 miles. I stayed in Bishopton for 18 years and there were no traffic lights at St James roundabout then and I never had a problem on that roundabout, also used to draft behind the WH Malcolm tippers as they went along the Barnsford Rd and I could keep up with them until they reached 45mph then they dropped me.

This is 9.5 miles
Station, Grahamston Rd, Hawkhead Rd, Arkleston Rd, Paisley Rd, Inchinnan Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

This is 9.1 miles
Station, Caplethill Rd, Neilston Rd, Causeyside St, Gordon St, Mill St, Weir St, Love St, Inchinnan Rd, Abbotsinch Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

That's about the two shortest routes I can see, there are lots that take you another 5 or 6 miles that would make for an interesting ride but I guess when its a commute you don't want that

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Looking at Google's suggestion then St James is the shortest route at 7.4 miles. I stayed in Bishopton for 18 years and there were no traffic lights at St James roundabout then and I never had a problem on that roundabout, also used to draft behind the WH Malcolm tippers as they went along the Barnsford Rd and I could keep up with them until they reached 45mph then they dropped me.

This is 9.5 miles
Station, Grahamston Rd, Hawkhead Rd, Arkleston Rd, Paisley Rd, Inchinnan Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

This is 9.1 miles
Station, Caplethill Rd, Neilston Rd, Causeyside St, Gordon St, Mill St, Weir St, Love St, Inchinnan Rd, Abbotsinch Rd, Greenock Rd, Inchinnan Dr into Ind Est.

That's about the two shortest routes I can see, there are lots that take you another 5 or 6 miles that would make for an interesting ride but I guess when its a commute you don't want that
I have seen some cyclists use that roundabout, I would maybe risk it some quiet mornings, but just don't fancy the hassle during rush hour. There's not much chance of me drafting one of those tippers, I'm happy to stay well clear of them if possible. I do fancy the other routes eventually, but shortest will do for now. Thanks a lot for your advice, I knew it would take someone with good local knowledge to pick their way through the many options. There was that many, I didn't know what way to go. I'll give your top one a try tomorrow, and let you know how I get on, thanks again.

Reactions: GGJ

Broadside

Guru
You might want to change the subject so people know which route you want advice about.

But I'd like to pitch https://www.strava.com/routes/new (your probably have to create an account, but you don't have to ever use it). It allows you to plot routes based on what roads are popular with cyclists - who will be local cyclists. It's not much good for me near home (I'm near Richmond Park so all routes go via there) but it might work for your problem.

I agree, this service from Strava is brilliant but seems to go massively unrecognised, I have given up telling people about it...

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru

I agree, this service from Strava is brilliant but seems to go massively unrecognised, I have given up telling people about it...
I have an account, but I just use the free version for my own use. I did go on and have a go at the route builder, and it looks good. Given enough time, I probably could put a route together now I know that's there, but there's that many different options, I really just wanted an opinion from someone who knows the area.

Thanks for the links though, I'm sure that will come in handy later.

U

User6179

I have used this before to get distance on a route but didn't realise it used most popular route for cyclists , just tried it out on the furthest away point on one of my routes and it came back with the exact route I use to avoid heavy traffic :okay:

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
When I did it, it just used the main drag going over a major roundabout that's no place for cyclists at rush hour. I suppose I might not have set the right parameters or it could be I'm just a big fearty.

Is the wooden walkway you mentioned on a Sustrans route?
Wet wood is lethal. Any wooden bridges etc on cycle routes should have a grippy surface.

Top Bottom