Route Elevations Site?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianMac

Hi, can someone point me in the direction of a site that gives road elevation graphs? I was told I could do this with Google maps/earth but, if it is possible, I can't see how to do it!

I want to do John O'Groats to Land's End, via Stranraer - Larne - Dublin then back to Holyhead, over a two week holiday and don't mind hills but not too gut busting to ruin the holiday.

Thanks,

ianMac

Peteaud

Veteran
bike hike.

http://bikehike.co.uk/index.php

Enter your route and make sure elevation is checked.

Do a screen dump for a pic

Peteaud

Veteran
I know Peteaud has given you a good resource, but I use Bikeroutetoaster, very similar and I also create routes to download to my Garmin.
A possible alternative.
Regards

I like that site as well, but i prefer bikehike only because you can get a map and details all on one page, then screen dump it and edit it in ms paint.

Bikeroutetoaster does give more info tho and is more detailed.

Both are great sites.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bikehike won't be much use on the other side of the Irish Sea! I use mapmyride.com, and Bikehike when there's a good reason to look at an OS map.

Bikehike won't be much use on the other side of the Irish Sea! I use mapmyride.com, and Bikehike when there's a good reason to look at an OS map.

We used bikehike for Norway, Sweden.... through to Turkey.... (just not in OS mode)
the only issues we have found with both bikehike and bikeroutertoaster is that they can not manage tunnels at all sending elevation data way off, so you have to stop and start the route at the start and end of the tunnel and guess in between...

Peteaud

Veteran
We used bikehike for Norway, Sweden.... through to Turkey.... (just not in OS mode)
the only issues we have found with both bikehike and bikeroutertoaster is that they can not manage tunnels at all sending elevation data way off, so you have to stop and start the route at the start and end of the tunnel and guess in between...

never thought about tunnels. How does it cope with long bridges i wonder.

Try this site I find it good for planning routeshttp://weston-super-mare.cyclestreets.net/journey/ You can of course change the area to your own, I just wasn't able to find out how to load the home page for the site

I have just found out how to plan route in this cyclestreets.net then upload to bikehike for a bigger over view both are great. pity that all the jobs indoors are still waiting to be done!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Using RIdeWithGPS that I reckon produces very accurate profiles most of the time, does not seem to work so well in parts of Scotland and I observed some errors in the Brecon Beacons where I have ridden this summer. For instance a day in my planned LEJOG, Ft Augustus-Altnaharra with the first part on the General Wade Road, computed at over 4000m climbing, which I couldn't believe. Looking in detail there were lots of short spikes in the profile that do not seem to match what the OS map contours tell you.

I suspect two reasons: firstly I reckon the altitude database used is based on the natural surface altitude, so the smoothing effect of cuttings and embankments are lost, secondly the route in parts is cut into a very steep scarp so the small inaccuracies in the google map plot of a road gives jumps in height as the road is placed lower or higher up the scarp than it in fact is.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Just tried a few Alpine passes I have climbed which have eff-all intermediate downhills and can spot the same issue.

Obviously I am not busy enough at work ....

Top Bottom