route for an audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
E

Euan Uzami

on an audax do they tell you the exact route or do they just give you 'clues' and you have to work it out. If so is it like a cryptic crossword...?

only ask 'cos i've heard rumours about it being the latter, and if so are you allowed to just follow people...?

Dave5N

Über Member
Clear instructions, 'turn left at T junction' etc, with distances to each junction. Only abbreviated to make the route card a manageable size.

OP
OP
E

Euan Uzami

ok cheers. that's normal ones. but are there anythat are like cryptic clues?

yello

Not in my experience.

Some organisers route sheets can take a little deciphering sometimes but I don't think it's intentional!

Randochap

Senior hunter
Here is part of the route sheet from last Thursday's "NewPop" (New Year's Populaire) route:

At km Turn onto ROUTE then Go km

19.0 (R) HUNT (@ golf course) 1.6
20.6 (SO) WELCH (at Dooley) 1.3
21.9 (L) MARTINDALE (@ stop) 1.3
23.2 (R) LOCHSIDE Dr. (first right) 1.2
24.4 (L) ISLAND VIEW 0.2
24.6 (R) HIGHWAY 17 (@ lights) 2.6
27.2 (R) MT.NEWTON X (@ lights) 0.2
27.4 (L) LOCHSIDE (@ 4-way stop) 4.3
31.7 (L) McTAVISH 0.2
31.9 (SO) Cross Hwy 17 (@ lights) 0.0
31.9 (SO) McTAVISH 0.5
32.4 (SO) Cross E. Saanich (@ 4-way stop) 0.0

32.4 R CONTROL #1 -- McTavish Rd. Store
McTavish & E. Saanich

Spreadsheet formatting/spacing is gone here, but you get the idea. We don't try to "fool" anyone attempting to ride the kind of distances demanded in audax/randonneur cycling. Navigating country roads in the rain at 3am is challenge enough for most.:ohmy:

On edit: BTW, if you want to see what riding the roads on that cue sheet looks like, they're all in the video clip on this page.

gavintc

Guru
You will have picked up from the code, that the important element is knowing exactly how far you have travelled. It is therefore 'useful' to have made sure that your computer reads an accurate distance.

Randochap

Senior hunter
gavintc said:
You will have picked up from the code, that the important element is knowing exactly how far you have travelled. It is therefore 'useful' to have made sure that your computer reads an accurate distance.

Good tip, Gavintc. And the way to do this is by doing a "roll-out" measurement with tyres at preferred pressure, while you are on the bike.

Mark floor with pencil precisely at valve stem (I also mark tyre, below); roll forward one wheel revolution; mark floor; measure between marks. Repeat for accuracy. Get someone to help mark, while you assume normal on-bike duties.:laugh:

The result (in cm) will be the number you program into your computer and will give very exacting results.

I like to have 2 computers (see here, or here). One (right) gives me a primary and secondary ride distance, the other (left) another ride distance, altitude gain and, of course, both have total odo.

Redundancy is your friend.;)

RedBike

I've decided there's a reason why audax riders have a map on the bars. I've tried two or three shorter audax rides and got lost every time. Everythings fine until you miss a turn. Then (if you're like me) you haven't got a clue where you are.

You should get the route in advance. Sit down with a map and plot out the route. Take this map, with the route highlighted on it with you.

This way if you miss a turn you can easily see how to get back on route without travelling miles out of your way!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Euan Uzami said:
on an audax do they tell you the exact route or do they just give you 'clues' and you have to work it out. If so is it like a cryptic crossword...?

only ask 'cos i've heard rumours about it being the latter, and if so are you allowed to just follow people...?

The quality of route sheets varies.

Some are very explicit and easy to follow. Some are ambiguous some combine text and graphics. A general convention that permeates all routesheets is that places to be cycled through are typed in CAPITAL letters and plces to be cycled towards are typed in lower case apart from the first letter e.g.

45.7km TL at T Loughborough
45.7km TL at T LOUGHBOUROUGH

have very different outcomes

As you get the routesheet in advance of the ride if you pre-book, you can plot the route on a map or go out and recce the route on your bike. That will give you a feel for what is ahead of you.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Only ever done one & i couldn't fathom the route card. My advice is tag along with someone who knows the route, or can read the route card ;)

Top Bottom