route for an audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Just do what I do and follow the people with beards.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Dave5N said:
Just do what I do and follow the people with beards.

Or follow the GPS heads until their batteries run out or GPS glitch sends them on a wild goose chase. Then you can offer to lead them back on course with your map and cue sheet ... for a price:biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Randochap said:
Or follow the GPS heads until their batteries run out or GPS glitch sends them on a wild goose chase. Then you can offer to lead them back on course with your map and cue sheet ... for a price:biggrin:
I always use freshly charged batteries, and I can get over 24 hours out of one set.

I've had just one glitch in about 4,000 km of GPS-assisted riding. That was when I was in a very narrow valley with a steep hill in and a steep hill out so the GPS could probably only 'see' 1 or 2 satellites rather than the 3 or 4 it needed.

Having said that - I always carry a map and cue sheet too, just in case ;)!

Beard-following doesn't seem to work because the beard-owners always seem to get lost.

ian_oli

Über Member
You can get most as Word/Excel files. Before I became a slave to my GPS, If I did'n't like the format I reformatted them to a font size and folded view layout I like. I hoped not to cut out bits of the route by mistake.

The risk about following men with beards is sometimes there are none. It's odd you can ride a fair bit of the route with lots of people and then get a big chunk where you see no one till you stop and then lots come by. During those stretches you need teh routesheet.

OP
OP
E

Euan Uzami

i've got a nice phone holder on the bars of my fixed which holds my GPS phone.
Wont' fit on my geared bike though as its handlebars are too fat!

I've got a beard, but never done an audax before - so presumably i'll be blindly followed? i'll be like the pied piper...

Nuncio

Über Member
Euan Uzami said:
on an audax do they tell you the exact route or do they just give you 'clues' and you have to work it out. If so is it like a cryptic crossword...?

only ask 'cos i've heard rumours about it being the latter, and if so are you allowed to just follow people...?

This may relate to 'information' controls. Not crossword clues but questions on the brevet card issued at the start of the ride which you have to answer to prove you have completed the distance. They allow the organizer to ensure the whole route is done, without the inconvenience of having to provide manned or cafe controls every 30km or so. As the route between controls is optional (with very rare exceptions) - the route itself between the controls can be deemed advisory or recommended - it allows the organizer to specify a route like:

Cafe A / pleasant lanes to info control B / pleasant lanes to cafe C [total distance 60km]

rather than

Cafe A / trunk road to Cafe C. [total distance 45km]

The info questions are usually straightforward eg At VILLAGE A, distance on signpost at X roads to village B'; name of Pub on Left etc. Complicated or ambiguous questions are frowned upon.

And in answer to the second question: you are allowed to follow people, so long as they are also taking part on the ride. Technically, pacing by non-entrants is not allowed, though I don't know a) if it has ever happened, :evil: if it has happened that it has been spotted, or c) if a) and :sad: apply, that the rider has had to hand over his brevet card for ceremonial destruction. As to how far you follow without 'taking a turn': that's up to you and your conscience.

bonj2

do you always know where the 'manned controls' are going to be? or are they are at random points to avoid anyone taking a shortcut/driving?

Dave5N

Über Member
ian_oli said:
The risk about following men with beards is sometimes there are none.

Don't be ridiculous. It's an Audax.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Ben_3 said:
do you always know where the 'manned controls' are going to be? or are they are at random points to avoid anyone taking a shortcut/driving?

Controls aren't "random," they are set on the control card (and route sheet) which must be signed at the said control. Controls are not necessarily "manned" by audax "officials." Controls are often simply establishments such as convenience stores, or pubs. We encourage riders to buy something at the establishment in exchange for their curtesy of signing cards. At least that's the way we do it here.

"Secret" controls are another thing. We spring those on riders any time and anywhere. The threat of a secret control keeps most people honest. Seriously though, if someone wants to cheat. That's pretty pathetic, no? The only one they're cheating is themselves.

See this page for explanation of rando rules/protocols.

Nuncio

Über Member
Secret controls were where the organizer or friend stood by the side of the road at an unannounced place on the route, with some sort of ‘Audax Control’ sign, and stopped passing riders to stamp their cards. As with other controls, this ensured that riders rode the complete distance and the complete route.

In the UK secret controls have virtually died out since the rule changes which resulted in ‘free’ routes between controls. An organizer still has the option to use them, but has to specify on which leg it is to be used, and even then is not obliged to use them. In effect this means that the specified leg is not a ‘free’ route.

I think I have only been on one Audax where a secret control was threatened. The Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 route includes a Dolgellau/Menai Bridge/Dolgellau stretch with no additional controls. The route ‘up’ is via Pen-yPas, the route back, a fair bit flatter. The distances were not much different, I don’t think. Without the threat of a secret control riders could have taken the easier route up and the easier route back. The logistics for the organizer to have an actual secret control on the way up (ie someone standing by some Snowdonia road from about 4pm to 2am) suggested that this was an idle threat. But who would want to risk it?

Organizers don’t generally want you to get lost. It should not be an exercise in navigation. Limitations of space on route sheets mean that certain conventions are used, which can take some getting used to.

bonj2

Randochap said:
Controls aren't "random," they are set on the control card (and route sheet) which must be signed at the said control. Controls are not necessarily "manned" by audax "officials." Controls are often simply establishments such as convenience stores, or pubs. We encourage riders to buy something at the establishment in exchange for their curtesy of signing cards. At least that's the way we do it here.

"Secret" controls are another thing. We spring those on riders any time and anywhere. The threat of a secret control keeps most people honest. Seriously though, if someone wants to cheat. That's pretty pathetic, no? The only one they're cheating is themselves.

See this page for explanation of rando rules/protocols.
i was envisaging it as a desk at the side of the road.

yello

Randochap said:
Seriously though, if someone wants to cheat. That's pretty pathetic, no? The only one they're cheating is themselves

Abso-bloody-lutely! Really, who else actually gives a rat's arse if you do the course or not anyway?

I voiced this opinion once and was told 'ah yes, but PBP year is different'. I still didn't really see it. But all clubs attract the anal so I guess it's to be expected!

Randochap

Senior hunter
yello said:
Abso-bloody-lutely! Really, who else actually gives a rat's arse if you do the course or not anyway?

I voiced this opinion once and was told 'ah yes, but PBP year is different'. I still didn't really see it. But all clubs attract the anal so I guess it's to be expected!

Look at it this way; if you came all the way from France to Canada (as I did the opposite in '07, for PBP), to ride, say, the VanIsle 1200 and I caught you cutting the route, you've wasted all that time and money. The least I'm going to do is give you a time penalty and instruct you to ride back to where you "lost" the route.

Incedentally, the Vanisle 1200 is a good training ride for PBP, the year before, in 2010. Here's the 2006 info pages 2010 coming soon.

Just call me AnalChap ... though being rude to officials may cost you the ride, as well. Just like in France.;)

Randochap said:
Look at it this way; if you came all the way from France to Canada (as I did the opposite in '07, for PBP), to ride, say, the VanIsle 1200 and I caught you cutting the route, you've wasted all that time and money. The least I'm going to do is give you a time penalty and instruct you to ride back to where you "lost" the route.

Incedentally, the Vanisle 1200 is a good training ride for PBP, the year before, in 2010. Here's the 2006 info pages 2010 coming soon.

Just call me AnalChap ... though being rude to officials may cost you the ride, as well. Just like in France.;)

I think Yello was agreeing with you there ... I think "who else actually gives a rat's arse if you do the course or not anyway?" translates as "the only person you're doing Audax rides for is yourself." :sad: I might be wrong, of course.

Top Bottom