route from chinppenham (near bath) to oxford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Hi there next Tuesday weather permitting Planning to cycle from chippenham to oxford in order to get the oxford express were they allow bikes.
been looking on google maps for routes but not haveing much luck.
I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good route sustrans doesnt appear to help much.
Planning to get there within 6 or 7 hours its about 60 miles but i cant find any decent routes avoiding main roads.
Milo

andrew_s

Legendary Member
With Swindon on the direct route between Chippenham and Oxford, you've got a choice of main roads or extra distance. The main roads aren't very nice ones, and the Thames doesn't help either.

I'd go:-
Chippenham - Sutton Benger - Great Somerford - Minety - Ashton Keynes - Cerney Wick - Fairford - Southrop - Filkins - Bampton - Yelford - Stanton Harcourt - Swinford - Botley - Oxford.

HTH

Rob S

The A4 is a surprisingly nice road with some good points of interest especially between Chippenham and Marlborough (make sure you add the Avebury diversion!!)....then take the minor road that goes through Mildenhall and Ramsbury and pick up the B4192 to Hungerford...then the A338 to Wantage, look out for the Williams F1 factory at the roundabout between Wantage and Grove and on to Frilford then minor road past Abingdon airfield, Foxcombe Hill and then you are at the southern end of Oxford.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Thanks for getting back do you think i might be being a bit ambitious in aiming to do this in a day. Eg leave 7 am hopefully get to oxford as it gets dark.
have done a fair bit of long distance riding before but would like to avoid night riding.

Rob S

miloat said:
Thanks for getting back do you think i might be being a bit ambitious in aiming to do this in a day. Eg leave 7 am hopefully get to oxford as it gets dark.
have done a fair bit of long distance riding before but would like to avoid night riding.

Are you planning to stop at every pub on the way? You've got at least 9 hours before it starts thinking about getting dark....I'm sure you'll be fine.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
Good point its not to far looking on the map being a bit para haven't done any long distance since the summer.
Looking forward rain or shine though most likely rain.

Top Bottom