Route from Dunkirk to Bruges to Ypres to Calais

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozfuller

Veteran
Hi,
We are on hybrid bikes, so not doing huge distances! Has anyone cycled this route or at least one of the legs and if so, have a recommended route they could share with me on Google maps? Happy for this not to be the most direct and to include a detour if there are any recommended towns/villages/places of interest along the way that would be worth looking at. From experience, Google maps recommended cycle routes are not always ideal.....

Many thanks in advance!

Hi,
We are on hybrid bikes, so not doing huge distances! Has anyone cycled this route or at least one of the legs and if so, have a recommended route they could share with me on Google maps? Happy for this not to be the most direct and to include a detour if there are any recommended towns/villages/places of interest along the way that would be worth looking at. From experience, Google maps recommended cycle routes are not always ideal.....

Many thanks in advance!

That whole area is pretty well covered for good cycling and I've done quite a bit of it. However, one person's great ride could be another person's hell.
I don't have routes to share with you because I invariably don't follow the ones I make and besides, I can't share them on Google Maps. Google Maps is beyond terrible in most places for finding decent bike routes in my opinion. And sometimes downright dangerous.

Cycle Travel is an excellent planner for quieter roads and, if using an iphone, has an app. If nothing else just looking at the map will show the bike routes that already exist and help with your planning. There are others. Broadening your experience beyond Google will broaden your cycling.

Oostende is lovely, Brugge is lovely, Ieper is very interesting and there is some very interesting places to visit or just wander. A lot of people find it very moving. I certainly did.
Without knowing what you like it's impossible to recommend anything. And it would be entirely possible to just wing it. There's no shortage of infrastructure and signs to follow or friendly folk to ask.

Good luck.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lozfuller

Veteran
Unfortunately, I'm on Android. However, I see you can download a GPS file from Cycle Travel to import into an App. Any suggestions for such a free App that runs on Android that will allow you to navigate the route? Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Unfortunately, I'm on Android. However, I see you can download a GPS file from Cycle Travel to import into an App. Any suggestions for such a free App that runs on Android that will allow you to navigate the route? Thanks
OsmAnd is the most complete, including voice prompts and turning the screen on before and off after corners, if I recall correctly.

The rather lighter (less memory use, less battery consumption) AAT (previously Another Activity Tracker) is good enough for me. It can display routes on a map and do some editing. It can cache maps for offline use. I think it can draw maps like OsmAnd can, but I've not yet done so.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

RideWithGPS Has an excellent web based route planner and you can download routes to an Android app (or GPS devices there are various download options) for turn by turn navigation. You can also do route planning on the phone, but really a phone is the wrong tool for route planning, whatever app you use. Too fiddly. There are tons of alternatives (some mentioned above) that I don't know anything about, but RWGPS does the job fine. One problem is that some features are free and some are paid. I don't know which because I have a paid subscription.

It's a lovely part of the world, but I don't have any routing advice.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for such a free App that runs on Android that will allow you to navigate the route?
That's tricky (and can be divisive! ^_^ )
If you want to take a long term approach to getting a handle on digital mapping, route planning and navigation then you can't go too far wrong with Osmand. BUT (and a big but!) it is not the easiest to master. The downside is that it can seem complicated, the upside is that there are layers and layers of features that can greatly enhance bike adventures. It is especially comforting in that it works offline (once maps have been downloaded).
The good news is that for simple importation of a route and navigation of that route it should be very straightforward. It may even be free (you only need to pay if you download above a certain number of maps).
Navigation can be simply follow a line on a screen or voice prompts. Ir can also do route correction if you go off course.

However, whatever option you choose, I'd strongly urge you to get familiar with it well before you leave and to stress test it. By that I mean go off course, switch off data & wifi, change your destination on the fly and any scenario you can likely see yourself facing. Far, far better to do that on familiar roads than foreign ones. A good excuse to get out on the bike! ^_^
One problem is that some features are free and some are paid
This is something that applies across a lot of apps and is something that can change over time. It does not just apply to RWGPS. It can be a real nuisance when what worked for this week's tour won't work for next month's one because the payment structure has changed.
Another thing that is common across apps is that the format can be different to the website. Therefore if you always plan your route on a computer you may find it more difficult to do on the road on a phone or tablet.

The recommendation of RWGPS is a good one too. It has (I believe) the ability to record your ride and then allow you to add photos and comments as a real momento of the day. I do similar using Strava and this has become invaluable to me. Osmand will allow you to record a ride too, although the subsequent transfer to Strava/RWGPS is a tad more complicated, depending on your "tech head".

One other thing to remember if using a phone to navigate is that battery is important! Screens that are always on can really use up the battery. If using the phone normally too for photos, calls, internet you may find yourself without battery and unable to call or having to choose between navigation and keeping some juice in case of emergency. If nothing else it can add some anxiety where none is necessary. Pack a powerbank.
Also, the times when you may wish to make a detour (think pouring rain) are the worst times for trying to use a phone.
Finally, there is always the risk of a fall and breaking the phone - no navigation and no way to call for help, although as a group that risk is less.
As it happens, it's 5 years ago today since I was in Ieper...... so here's some inspiration

Ieper/Ypres
IMG_20180418_143906202.jpg

And the German Cemetery on the way to Ieper from Brugge, one of the saddest places I have ever come across
IMG_20180418_185922777.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is something that applies across a lot of apps and is something that can change over time. It does not just apply to RWGPS. It can be a real nuisance when what worked for this week's tour won't work for next month's one because the payment structure has changed.
I wouldn't worry, I don't think that's ever applied to RWGPS.

Strava had a clearout and pulled certain features behind a paywall - I don't know if this included their route planner - but to my knowledge RWGPS have never done this. Nor am I aware of any other cases other than Strava.

Anyway, I think that for your purposes you would need a paid account which kind of rules it out for you as you want it for free. https://ridewithgps.com/help/compare-plans/

I'm not proposing RWGPS because I think it's better than the likes of cycle travel, komoot, osmand etc - for the simple reason that I don't know anything about them.

I wouldn't worry, I don't think that's ever applied to RWGPS.
I don't want to be argumentative, but it has happened me with RWGPS. It's been a while since I checked but I can no longer download a route from RWGPS (or at least, someone else's route), I can only "pin" it. There are a few other things too, but what has definitely changed is the layout. Even just finding the things I used to do commonly has become a PITA. (Free user)

I'm not proposing RWGPS because I think it's better than the likes of cycle travel, komoot, osmand etc - for the simple reason that I don't know anything about them.
The thing is "better" (or worse, best!) is entirely subjective and very much depends on someone's needs and wants.

I've tried them all (admittedly several years ago now) and still use all of them sporadically, but only regularly use Cycle Travel and Osmand, both paid. I love CT's routes but they're not for everybody. Komoot will try to kill me on a regular basis ^_^ (the feeling is mutual!).
Sometimes one is better for a specific situation. For example, Cycle Travel used to be quite poor at locating addresses and I favoured Komoot for that. (I learned to use CT to get close, then Komoot for the last bit ^_^) but has since caught up and is excellent at addresses.
Then again, my cycling isn't exactly typical.

Just edited to add: There aren't many route planners where we can communicate directly with the developer and I've seen requests for changes or improvements made on the same day on CycleTravel.

For @lozfuller just remember with "free apps" you get what you pay for. And the good news is that an android version of the CycleTravel app is on the way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't want to be argumentative, but it has happened me with RWGPS. It's been a while since I checked but I can no longer download a route from RWGPS (or at least, someone else's route),
I also don't want to be argumentative ;) ... but you can dowload other people's shared routes from RWGPS ... even if you are logged out and are using no account at all. For example: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38539436

But anyway this is all way off topic. The OP wants a free tool with Android navigation, and RWGPS ain't it.

But anyway this is all way off topic.
Meh. Possibly, but the general discussion is relevant because we can't all do the same things on these apps (depends on computer/tablet/phone, operating system and who knows what else and I see no harm in teasing that out.

Case in point:
you can dowload other people's shared routes from RWGPS
On the website, yes, but not on the app. (Or at least no obvious way that I can see). I can't even download my own routes!

Strava had a clearout and pulled certain features behind a paywall - I don't know if this included their route planner - but to my knowledge RWGPS have never done this. Nor am I aware of any other cases other than Strava.
Bikemap did last year - they put turn-by-turn navigation and GPX export behind the paywall:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 07.56.55.png

I know all of this is basically "what you can get away with charging for" rather than actual feature complexity, but GPX export sticks in the craw a bit as it's literally 35 lines of code. (Turn-by-turn is rather more complicated!)

I think there was another app which did similar but I can't remember it offhand.

Top Bottom