Route from London to Paris?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyR00

Is the standard route, London->Newhaven->Dieppe->Paris?

According to G maps though the shortest route from London to Newhaven takes you through almost 3k feet of elevation, that's quite a lot.

The ferry looks like it will be about £35 return. Any tips here or do I have this plan about correct?

Shauna power

Hi Andy. If you google London to Newhaven a strava ride should come up that someone has already done. Its a very common route for cyclist to do. When are you thinking of going?

PK99

Legendary Member
Is the standard route, London->Newhaven->Dieppe->Paris?

According to G maps though the shortest route from London to Newhaven takes you through almost 3k feet of elevation, that's quite a lot.

The ferry looks like it will be about £35 return. Any tips here or do I have this plan about correct?

Best rad based route is:
http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.html
(we did this a few weeks ago)

Avenue Verte route includes sections of nasty off road gravel trails

We had a bit of an argument with the ferry operators at Newhaven. Could have been a one off, but the staff were not exactly helpful.

We had a van for support, and the plan was to ride to the terminal and then put the bikes in the van for the crossing. When we got there, and were putting the bikes in the van, a staff member came over and told us to go, with our bikes to the foot passenger queue.

Fair enough, we did. We waited in line as the van was in the vehicle queue and got to the check in pretty much as the van did, only to be told we couldn't board as foot passengers for some obscure reason. They wouldn't let us go through to reload them into the van, which left us with no real option but to hold everyone up, and pack them in the van, which by now was at the booth, blocking everyone else.

Despite us pointing out it was them that changed our initial plans, the staff were rude and uncooperative. I'm quite chilled, it was none of my doing, so was finding the whole ridiculous scenario funny. It was proper comedy jobsworth stuff. Others in the group were irate. It was hard to say if my smile or the others anger annoyed staff more. I think one of our lot tipped the balance when he kept calling the ticket booth operator mate and pointing out, "he said to do this", mainly because it turned out "he" was a she, which made me guffaw, and seemed to annoy them more.

I've no idea if that helps, but it could be worth checking that your plans fit their system. Then again, our original plans did anyway.

The original guy that moved us in the first place, even had the nerve to come to us in the departure lounge, saying whoever it was from their end didn't have a clue. I took great delight in totally agreeing with him, and elaborating on the cock up and watching him getting more uncomfortable before making it clear, it was him that had screwed it up.

I'm still none the wiser as to what the problem was, as bikes, van and people all went aboard. I can only assume it was a space thing, but that didn't fit with the gaps on board.

andym

Über Member

That part of England is hilly (but beautiful - enjoy it). Less than a thousand metres of climbing isn't a huge amount - especially if the alternative involves Calais.

OP
OP
A

andyR00

How realistic is doing Dieppe->Paris in one day. 109-120 miles, I know it's maths, fitness and circumstances but I am not taking a tent. I can cycle 60 miles ATM in 5 hours in one day with a few hours rest inbetween, this would be double that, don't want to end up stranded in some back of beyond field in rural France.

PK99

Legendary Member
How realistic is doing Dieppe->Paris in one day. 109-120 miles, I know it's maths, fitness and circumstances but I am not taking a tent. I can cycle 60 miles ATM in 5 hours in one day with a few hours rest inbetween, this would be double that, don't want to end up stranded in some back of beyond field in rural France.

We did (essentially) the Hirsch route a few weeks ago.

Perversely, the toughest bit was the first day up the Old Railway section of the Avenue Verte.
5am start off the Ferry. Not enough breakfast. Nowhere open for hours. Unremittingly up hill at 1-2%.

The rest was a doddle, easy cruising over rolling terrain, no nasty hills, no traffic.80ish miles into Paris easy peasy.

We did it as part of our training for the Pru100 to give the two wives experience of long rides (London/Newhaven. Dieppe/Forges. Forges/Paris. 80/40/80)

This year my average ride distance is 47 miles ( ~80 rides). Pru100 in 7 hours lapsed time. I'd happily look to do the whole of Dieppe/Paris in one day.

If 60 miles is your current "limit" you would probably find it a tad too far.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am not sure I agree. 3 of us did the Hirsch route a few weeks back in pretty awful conditions in just over 30h inc the ferry. Dieppe to Paris was 13 hours partly because of the weather but also because we got lost. My 2 friends are not used to long rides. They only really commute in London. We had done a London to Brighton and back in a day as preparation but not much more than that. Before that 1 of us had never cycled 60 miles before. The route to Paris is fairly flat after the initial section. Just make sure you take food for breakfast! We managed to get hot drinks and rolls on the ferry but it was a good 3 hours before we found a boulangery open and a while longer before we found a bar selling hot drinks. Other than that carry food and fluids and keep fuelled and hydrated and be prepared for a good 10-12 hrs in the saddle. Take breaks and enjoy the ride.

I did this solo last June. You can read my ride report here. I took a more direct route to Paris, so it was slightly shorter. You wouldn't be stranded, there are hotels and trains throughout the french countryside. You're not in death valley.

Say you start at 6am. At the speed above, it should take you 10 hours. Assume you take a few long breaks and slow down a lot, say 15 hours. So you are in Paris at 9pm. Plenty of time to check in then go out to dinner. If you are planning to catch the ferry back the same day, the last train out of Paris to Rouen then Dieppe leaves just before 8pm, so if you were just a little faster than that very slow speed, you could catch the midnight ferry back to Blighty.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Quai Gaston Lalitte&daddr=49.9195335,1.0770498 to:49.9029391,1.0955041 to:49.8572229,1.1613576 to:Saint-Saëns, France to:49.6053012,1.3419925 to:49.51703,1.4349127 to:49.486307,1.4869821 to:Morgny, France to:49.3221318,1.7219437 to:Gisors, France to:49.1417591,1.9820995 to:49.1164106,2.0173268 to:49.056696,2.0912281 to:49.0486309,2.1013971 to:49.0199632,2.1650711 to:48.9952822,2.2404793 to:48.9828975,2.2774562 to:48.9533368,2.3363867 to:48.9273279,2.3415394 to:Bd de Magenta&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=48.965794,2.69165&spn=3.06898,4.938354&sll=49.914563,1.086617&sspn=0.023517,0.038581&geocode=FZ73-QIdh5cQAA;FS22-QIdOW8QACkHkRQjCKLgRzEgk0Oq-jKHDA;FVt1-QIdULcQACn385PiaKLgRzHkZu22LuwWKw;FcbC-AIdjbgRACkLal8SV6PgRzF5SsfXbhc9Vw;FXr09QIdL5YTACkXqyoSMsjgRzFWIfMK7bSdpA;FbXq9AIdKHoUACnTrKZE-cvgRzFqrR_SmxYbng;FeaR8wIdIOUVACmPI8f3WC3nRzHuQyx3Cy6Kgw;FeMZ8wIdhrAWACllyMlYyC3nRzGa7mPbZJLBFg;FcaD8QIdYUEYACmlZuH1EijnRzEAm7tPSBQMBA;FZOY8AIdV0YaACkvmb6XCN_mRzELnKg0hV4NGw;FR7z7wIdwxsbACnxeoZmpeDmRzEjErn--yczYQ;Ff_X7QIdkz4eACl76iJHqvHmRzFU_Y41AwqmhQ;Ffp07QIdLsgeACltqWOYT_HmRzEZIp79kY6rnQ;FbiL7AId3OgfACll-8tGc_XmRzEhTZ8xZ7c3Hw;FTZs7AIdlRAgACmrZY3yZfXmRzFMNTv3mnJ54w;FTv86wIdTwkhACk_BxIEnWDmRzGQXiF0iGzutA;FdKb6wId3y8iACkNZF3IC2fmRzGw79l76cl9jg;FXFr6wIdUMAiACk7uSYY0mfmRzEHOMOULGgn2g;Ffj36gIdgqYjACltDp_eI2nmRzEpWHsfR1T00A;FV-S6gIdo7ojACmBHQ2bz27mRzF4s7QAx31MAQ;FRnO6QIdefAjAA&oq=Paris&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1,2,3,5,6,7,9,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19&t=m&z=8

There's threads and threads on the FNRttCs to Paris over in Informal Rides

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We had a bit of an argument with the ferry operators at Newhaven. Could have been a one off, but the staff were not exactly helpful.

We had a van for support, and the plan was to ride to the terminal and then put the bikes in the van for the crossing. When we got there, and were putting the bikes in the van, a staff member came over and told us to go, with our bikes to the foot passenger queue.

Fair enough, we did. We waited in line as the van was in the vehicle queue and got to the check in pretty much as the van did, only to be told we couldn't board as foot passengers for some obscure reason. They wouldn't let us go through to reload them into the van, which left us with no real option but to hold everyone up, and pack them in the van, which by now was at the booth, blocking everyone else.

Despite us pointing out it was them that changed our initial plans, the staff were rude and uncooperative. I'm quite chilled, it was none of my doing, so was finding the whole ridiculous scenario funny. It was proper comedy jobsworth stuff. Others in the group were irate. It was hard to say if my smile or the others anger annoyed staff more. I think one of our lot tipped the balance when he kept calling the ticket booth operator mate and pointing out, "he said to do this", mainly because it turned out "he" was a she, which made me guffaw, and seemed to annoy them more.

I've no idea if that helps, but it could be worth checking that your plans fit their system. Then again, our original plans did anyway.

The original guy that moved us in the first place, even had the nerve to come to us in the departure lounge, saying whoever it was from their end didn't have a clue. I took great delight in totally agreeing with him, and elaborating on the cock up and watching him getting more uncomfortable before making it clear, it was him that had screwed it up.

I'm still none the wiser as to what the problem was, as bikes, van and people all went aboard. I can only assume it was a space thing, but that didn't fit with the gaps on board.
Bikes get their own line in the car queues - for both outward and return

Top Bottom