Route ideas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Two quick questions for all you lovely people at cycle chat,

As mentioned in a seperate thread is the ridgway between Avebury and Bath suitable for cycling along with bikes laden with touring bags?

Also how do I get to Boscastle by bike without nackering my 16 yr old Son and putting him off cycling for ever! I am hoping to get the train from Bath to either Barnstaple or Okehampton. Barnstaple is probably a bit far and hilly but is Okehamton do able and is there a recomended route I should take from there to Boscastle.

Any suggestions greatly received.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oakhampton isn't too far off the Sustrans route 3 connecting Bristol to Cornwall, and its on the Coast to Coast route between Ilfracombe and Plymouth. Certainly the Barnstaple to Oakhampton part is for the most part fairly flat and off road for the first half towards Oakhampton but becomes much more hilly towards that end.

Route 3 information: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/route-numbering-system/42

andym

Über Member
DJ said:
As mentioned in a seperate thread is the ridgway between Avebury and Bath suitable for cycling along with bikes laden with touring bags?
d.

It gets a lot more tricky west of Avebury - sections are overgrown etc. In any event, IIRC, the Ridgway goes down towards Salisbury Plain and not Bath. I'd pick up the Sustrans route and/or the canal towpath.

Top Bottom