Route into central St Helens from north

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two mile commute

I've moved into the St Helens area having lived across the water. I'm looking for recommendations for a commuter friendly route into central St Helens from the Rainford by-pass. It looks great until you hit the Lancs then it's busy - that's the way I currently drive. Ta.

Sharky

Guru
Can't really help with a commute route, although my early years were in that area. On a visit a few months ago, tried crossing the East Lancs at Windle, going south to north and turning into the road to Crank. It was a nightmare with traffic.

But you're in the middle of some great cycling roads. Have you tried Billinge Bump yet? And if you're into TT's, you are sitting on one of the best 10 mile tt courses that I have known.

Nice pub restaurant there as well - "Bottle and Glass". Now if that was down where I am now, it would be rhyming slang for something, can't think what that might be.

Cheers
Keith

Siclo

Veteran
A quick look at Street view revealed Abbey Road off the B5201 crossing a small bridge over the East Lancs Rd here.

The problem with abbey road is its private at the north end with a barrier and IME the owners are enthusiastic about enforcement, the footpath (not bridleway) runs across the field.

St Helens is the equivalent of a cycling black hole, I've always used Rainford Road to pass through, not sure if you could cut through the cemetery

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The problem with abbey road is its private at the north end with a barrier and IME the owners are enthusiastic about enforcement, the footpath (not bridleway) runs across the field.

St Helens is the equivalent of a cycling black hole, I've always used Rainford Road to pass through, not sure if you could cut through the cemetery
Ah, I wondered why Two mile commute hadn't spotted it - I only looked at it from the south end where it crosses the A580!

I didn't like the look of the busier roads round there.

ColinJ

I was just having another look on Street view ... I can't believe that the local authority didn't bother connecting the bridge taking Abbey Road over the A580 to the cycle path beside the A580! It looks such an obvious way to get cyclists (and pedestrians) safely over that busy dual carriageway.

Anyway .. if you continue along the cycle path another half a mile or so you come to where Scafell Road crosses under the A580. I am not sure that there is a proper path down to the road but there is a handrail leading down there so there may be. Even if there is not a path, it may be possible to wheel a bike up and down that embankment. It might be worth riding over there to check it out?

View from above.

View from below.

ColinJ

I've spotted a route that I would do on a cyclocross, touring or mountain bike, though probably not on a normal road bike ...

Turn off the Rainford bypass onto Mill Lane, and then right onto Berrington's Lane HERE. Follow that all the way over to Crank Road HERE. Turn left and shortly right onto Sandy Lane HERE, a bridleway at that end. It takes you over to where it becomes a road HERE. Ride to the junction at the end of Sandy Lane, turn left onto Moss Bank Road and shortly right onto Scafell Road which takes you under the East Lancs Road and into St Helens.

david k

Hi

Tried blind foot road, I like that run, then down Howard's lane and into St. Helens that way

david k

Hi
I've spotted a route that I would do on a cyclocross, touring or mountain bike, though probably not on a normal road bike ...

Turn off the Rainford bypass onto Mill Lane, and then right onto Berrington's Lane HERE. Follow that all the way over to Crank Road HERE. Turn left and shortly right onto Sandy Lane HERE, a bridleway at that end. It takes you over to where it becomes a road HERE. Ride to the junction at the end of Sandy Lane, turn left onto Moss Bank Road and shortly right onto Scafell Road which takes you under the East Lancs Road and into St Helens.
Cyclocross needed but yeh a decent route

Sharky

Guru
Tried blind foot road, I like that run, then down Howard's lane and into St. Helens that way
If you take the Blindfoot road and cross the roundabout to the south side, there is a good cycle path running on the south side. Then head towards Windle and take first on right, but instead of turning into Howard's lane, keep going straight and right until you come to St Helens road at Eccleston lane ends. You'll see the big black and white pub, the "Wellie". Turn left and it's about 3 miles into St Helens, a nice wide and fast road. Eccleston Lane Ends is where I lived up to age 10 and the school there was my primary school. Now a nursery. You can cut out the lights by taking a short cut down New Road.

Cheers
Keith

david k

Hi
If you take the Blindfoot road and cross the roundabout to the south side, there is a good cycle path running on the south side. Then head towards Windle and take first on right, but instead of turning into Howard's lane, keep going straight and right until you come to St Helens road at Eccleston lane ends. You'll see the big black and white pub, the "Wellie". Turn left and it's about 3 miles into St Helens, a nice wide and fast road. Eccleston Lane Ends is where I lived up to age 10 and the school there was my primary school. Now a nursery. You can cut out the lights by taking a short cut down New Road.

Cheers
Keith

Yes it's a good run, I used to do it a lot when I lived in eccleston, just moved to Rainhil and looking forward to some new routes in the spring
Found some nice roads to Liverpool through Rainhil to nether ton

Top Bottom