Route mapping/planning apps or websites that can show a chart of cumulative ascent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Strava and Ride With GPS both show elevation charts, but they show elevation at any particular point in the ride, i.e. on a circular route with 2000m of climbing the charts will go up and down but they will always finish at the same elevation they started.

I'm looking for a way of showing a chart that adds up the ascent/climbing as it goes, so the same route would have a chart that always increased and ended up at 2000m. Is there an easy way to do this for any given GPX file?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I may have misunderstood your question but when plotting in RWGPS you will be able to see the cumulative elevation as you plot the route and the total elevation when you have plotted.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It's specifically the chart, so a chart that goes from 0m on the left to 2000m on the right, for a single route/GPX file. That way I can see things like at what point in the ride I've done half the climbing, how much total climbing is left etc. The standard elevation profile doesn't really show that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
What you can do in RWGPS, as you probably know, is select a section of the ride by clicking and dragging on the elevation profile and it will tell you how much climbing in the selected section. So if you selected the first half of your ride by distance you'd see how much climbing in the first half. Which is a small step towards what you want.

I actually didn't know that - on Strava it only shows you the elevation difference, so you could climb a big mountain but if your selection starts and ends at 30 metres then it will show zero elevation change. Will try it on RWGPS.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Some guy on bicycles.stackexchange added this functionality to a VeloViewer applet he had built - drag and drop a GPX file onto the map and it'll show you the chart of elevation below it: https://www.c-hodges.co.uk/explorer/index.html

It actually has limited usefulness depending on how hilly/flat the route is, but for pretty much every Scotland route I put into it I was surprised about how much ascent there was, the big hills were little blips in the overall upward direction of the graph. it gives an additional view of the climbing on a route though.

As a followup, is there any app/website that will show a chart of gradient, so km along the bottom and e.g. +/- 25% on the left hand side?

R_nger

Guru
Some guy on bicycles.stackexchange added this functionality to a VeloViewer applet he had built - drag and drop a GPX file onto the map and it'll show you the chart of elevation below it: https://www.c-hodges.co.uk/explorer/index.html

It actually has limited usefulness depending on how hilly/flat the route is, but for pretty much every Scotland route I put into it I was surprised about how much ascent there was, the big hills were little blips in the overall upward direction of the graph. it gives an additional view of the climbing on a route though.

As a followup, is there any app/website that will show a chart of gradient, so km along the bottom and e.g. +/- 25% on the left hand side?
Doesn’t RWGPS kind of do that ? Click on Grade in the elevation panel ?

Top Bottom