Route navigation error (Garmin Explore 2)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Am experiencing the above error when navigating outside the UK. The Garmin Express software says i have the Routable Cycle Map if Europe 2023.10 installed (that's all of Europe).

Anyone know a fix for this?

The only option i have is to reinstall the map, but my internet is so slow here it might fail the download(potentially leaving me with no map at all!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You may have already.. but have you checked the Garmin forum to see if others have suffered the same problem.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't have an Explore 2. My (not terribly helpful) suggestion would be to try a different (simpler) route, maybe from a different source. (eg If you created it on - say - RWGPS try a route created on Garmin Connect). Just in case the problem lies with the route and not the map.

I used to have an Edge Touring that would barf if routes were too long or complicated, but would work fine for simpler shorter routes. So this could help to rule that out.

This probably won't solve things but at least it's another option apart from reinstalling the map.

Also, open a case on support.garmin.com

Am experiencing the above error when navigating outside the UK.
Can you describe what you are seeing?
Is it showing a route at all?
Can it create a route on the fly? If so, can you navigate it?

@Dogtrousers suggestions are good if the unit is working to some level.
The only option i have is to reinstall the map, but my internet is so slow here it might fail the download(potentially leaving me with no map at all!)
If the unit is not working then there's nothing to lose, is there?
Maybe try to find a source of better WiFi? Depending on where you are some public buildings (think library) may be helpful or even a bikeshop.

As a fallback, CycleTravel has an app (iOS and Android) that's free to download and use on your phone. You should be able to import your routes into that until you get the unit going.

FWIW this isn't the first case I've come across of a Garmin unit not working as expected abroad.

Best of luck!

Sallar55

Veteran
Have Explore and it doesn't like big routes/courses. Try chopping the route up into manageable sections. Even on route it sometimes gives u turn instructions then says route found 🫢

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Try to route to any destination on the garmin and it produces the "route navigation error" message. It couldn't even work out the route to the next town!

Not completely useless however, as it did let me view my position on the map.

Had a quick google, found nothing except to reinstall the map so have kicked off the download in Garmin Express.. 10 hrs estimated!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've just checked my Edge Explore 2 and I'm on the latest maps, so Routable Cycle Map of Europe, 2023.10 installed. Mine is all working fine, even if it's route choices to some of my local places are a bit quirky.

Just for clarity, i'm based in Germany and as well as German routes, I've also I've sent a number of routes from other countries to my Edge to check if they appear on the map. So Switzerland, Denmark and even the UK and it all seems so be working fine.

Sorry I can't be of any other help, but it sounds like reloading your maps or reseting the unit, might be the only option.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

I've just checked my Edge Explore 2 and I'm on the latest maps, so Routable Cycle Map of Europe, 2023.10 installed. Mine is all working fine, even if it's route choices to some of my local places are a bit quirky.

Just for clarity, i'm based in Germany and as well as German routes, I've also I've sent a number of routes from other countries to my Edge to check if they appear on the map. So Switzerland, Denmark and even the UK and it all seems so be working fine.

Sorry I can't be of any other help, but it sounds like reloading your maps or reseting the unit, might be the only option.
Thanks, mine has worked just fine in the UK but this is my first attempt overseas. It's the same error in BE, NL and DE.

Wifi is so slow i had to give up downloading the entire map - far too big. Am halfway through a smaller download : Western Europe only, which lacks Germany but I'm okay with that.

Slightly annoyed to be out of 4g/5g mobile data reception or i might be sorted in minutes. Oh well, am not out on the bike again until tomorrow.

Hopefully the new download will work.

It'd be great if you come back and let us know how it worked out (when all the riding is done!)

Have Explore and it doesn't like big routes/courses.
This is something I've seen before - that Garmins (or at least some of them) can be very finnicky with long routes.
Not wanting to start a war, but I've never had that issue with a Wahoo unit. It treats a 13k km route the same as a 13km route.

Maybe so, but that's not the problem in this case. It's not a route length issue. (See post #6)

and yet you said earlier.....
I used to have an Edge Touring that would barf if routes were too long or complicated, but would work fine for simpler shorter routes. So this could help to rule that out.
I'm getting sick and tired of you picking at my posts.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Solved.

No change after deleting and reinstalling maps...
But I'm staying a mile or so from the nearest public road and realised that was the problem.

Most navigation systems give you a compass bearing if there's no track to follow, or instruct you to find the 'nearest digitised road' or similar. Reporting a 'route navigation error' is the least helpful message. Thank you Garmin, not.

Anyway, rode down to the road and all was normal. Anti-climax.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Glad you sorted it. I'll try to add that to my mental list of Garmin quirks.

(Mind you, my 530 has been quirk free so far, fingers crossed)

Top Bottom