Route planner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use ride with GPS, it's free for basic route planning and uploading to Garmin. You can upload your own rides as well

I use a mix. But if it's an area I don't know, I like Strava's one (which is still beta). It uses the rider data to show you where cyclists prefer, and has given me some brilliant routes. Caution if you are anywhere near a mecca, like Box Hill. It tends to route you towards hubs. But generally, it's pretty good.

cycle.travel but I run it, so might be a little biased! It’s designed to find quiet routes and uses real traffic data to do so. Any offroad sections are highlighted in green so you can drag the route away if you’re on skinny tyres. Always happy to hear feedback/suggestions.
cycle.travel is fantastic! Using it has resulted in me having hundreds of hours of stunning scenic rides on quiet roads and lanes.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
cycle.travel is good.

I'd avoid using Google maps as it seems to have little idea what is the best route for a bike, or will give you a route mixing dual carriageways with bridleways you'd struggle to get a tractor down.
What I do use Google for is to quickly check routes generated if it looks like a section might be off road / unpaved. Google Streetview gives you a fighting chance of rerouting away from unsuitable sections before your ride.

Ride with GPS is good but drag the google man over the map; if it isn't highlighted blue it likely a track and not suitable for a road bike. It could be a closed road for cars with a cycle bypass however. You can also use 'driving' mode which guarantees its a road route but it won't take advantage of a cycle cut through or contraflow.

pawl

Legendary Member
I use a mix. But if it's an area I don't know, I like Strava's one (which is still beta). It uses the rider data to show you where cyclists prefer, and has given me some brilliant routes. Caution if you are anywhere near a mecca, like Box Hill. It tends to route you towards hubs. But generally, it's pretty good.

If it sends you near Mecca you’re way off course,unless you mean thel local bingo hall.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
cycle.travel but I run it, so might be a little biased! It’s designed to find quiet routes and uses real traffic data to do so. Any offroad sections are highlighted in green so you can drag the route away if you’re on skinny tyres. Always happy to hear feedback/suggestions.

Hey that's great - i just used it to find the quickest but quietest route for a trip in a couple of weeks - I hate A roads - I'd prefer to stay alive for as long as possible - Thanks :smile: !!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Doesn't it only show you where Strava cycle users go? In my experience, that means that anywhere with decent cycling infrastructure and numbers, it'll be biased towards busy but fast A roads even when there's a perfectly good 20mph rail trail, greenway or quietway paralleling it. Good if you're the sort to blast it and never mind the trucks but not my cup of tea.

+1 for cycle.travel but sometimes it's worth checking graph hopper in big cities or on the few times when cycle.travel starts making, er, surprising choices.

Top Bottom