Route planning apps or software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've recently found this one which is pretty damn good:

http://cycle.travel/map
That's quite clever, but if you were going on the cue sheet alone, it's far too long. Unfortunately the 2nd test I tried produced a route with a section I know to be impassable on road bikes, and I couldn't see anyway of excluding 'unsurfaced' sections from routes generated. There was also no way of knowing where the section was.*
edit: * except by examining the route map very closely to spot the footpath/bridlepath. Not bad as a route generator however.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That's quite clever, but if you were going on the cue sheet alone, it's far too long. Unfortunately the 2nd test I tried produced a route with a section I know to be impassable on road bikes, and I couldn't see anyway of excluding 'unsurfaced' sections from routes generated. There was also no way of knowing where the section was.*
edit: * except by examining the route map very closely to spot the footpath/bridlepath. Not bad as a route generator however.
True
It does state though how much is unpaved roads and how much there is to push!
However, Ridewithgps has sent me on some pretty off-road cyclo-cross/single-track style routes too, so it also far from perfect in that respect either.

OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
Just had a look at ridewithGPS. That looks prest damn good to me. The support looks great. Might well pay for the premium service if I like it after a couple of goes. Might even give it a spin with rflkt for on route prompts.

Just had a look at ridewithGPS. That looks prest damn good to me. The support looks great. Might well pay for the premium service if I like it after a couple of goes. Might even give it a spin with rflkt for on route prompts.

Yeah, support and roadmap for the product are much better and more transparent than with other apps (Strava for example). If you decide you like RWGPS then its a good idea to sign up to the beta program. You get any fixes quickly and also get some input into the app through their google plus community.

https://plus.google.com/communities/117140495069199410205

Top Bottom