Route Planning Assistance - C2C

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's just a budding idea currently, but sometime in June is likely if it goes ahead, I know me, so if I don't set a goal for next year once the cold & wet weather comes alone I'll hibernate, but it would mean doing my summer monthly average in 5 consecutive days, not sure it's feasible.
I've also been considering doing this for a few years. Over 4/5 days. It'd average at around 35 miles a day over 5 days, which is sensible. I know i can do that easily but I'd probably be looking at camping rather than B&Bs... which adds a lot of weight to the bike but does ease the finances. A few years ago i decided to see if i could cycle 40 miles one day, then forty miles the next, then another forty on day three... at the end of day two I'd got online ordered some padded undies! I did 100 miles in three days rather than the targeted 120 and still felt it... that was without the luggage. Still not sure if it's feasible either but plenty of folk do it so it must be.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If the though of 40 miles a day for a few days is too much, just break in down into 20 mile rides, 20 miles in the morning, stop off for lunch, have a mooch around & then 20 miles in the afternoon :okay: Just pace yourself nice & steady & you should be fine.
My first 'trip' was the Trans Pennine Trail, think our days varied from 25 miles to 60 miles depending on terrain, hills etc. Very steady ride, but kind of got me into it, then my first solo was the C2C from Whitehaven to Sunderland over 3 days & that was quite tough, carrying far too much gear & ended up posting a load back home on day 2 :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

If the though of 40 miles a day for a few days is too much, just break in down into 20 mile rides, 20 miles in the morning, stop off for lunch, have a mooch around & then 20 miles in the afternoon :okay: Just pace yourself nice & steady & you should be fine.
Thank you that is sort of my thinking, I ride 20 miles in around 2 hours currently off road now, I probably need to try to do that from home, a 20 miler in the morning, home for lunch & then another in the afternoon. Logically in June I would have 12+ hour days, so even at 3 miles per hour each leg would get done. Just first time nerves, finding commitment daunting, also I'm not a planner :biggrin: I sort of like to just do.

TeeShot

Veteran
I'd like to do the Way of the Roses next year, probably June time, if I can get the support driver to cooperate but she doesn't like driving places she's never driven before. I figure 5 days, no way I could do it in 3 & not sure 5 will be enough. But hopefully with plenty of practise between now & then. Has anybody done it in 5 days, wonder where your start/finish points were each day? We won't be camping it will be hotels/guest houses, only carrying when I need for the day on the bike.
Hi @Phaeton
We did it in 5 days last month. I drove the van and the other three cycled (not ideal!). I’d drive ahead and then pedal back along the route to meet them. The youngest of the three was 68 and they’d never cycled two days on the trot before. They had done a few 45 mile day rides whilst “training”. We stayed in pub/hotlels/premier inns. Our stops were, Giggleswick, Ripon, York and Driffield. Approx mileage 35, 43, 35, 45 and 21. Day two was too hard for them and I vanned them from Appletreewick to Brimham rocks (14 miles). Great route, I’d like to go back and do it all next time.
Good luck

D

Deleted member 26715

@TeeShot thank you, yes I can see that Giggleswick to Ripon (just using Google maps) comes in at just under 70 miles, that is likely to be a few miles too far

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm about to do it over 3 days, starting tomorrow. Will report back :smile:
I'm with a group, and we're B&B-ing in Appletreewick, then YHA-ing in York.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm about to do it over 3 days, starting tomorrow. Will report back :smile:
I'm with a group, and we're B&B-ing in Appletreewick, then YHA-ing in York.
Good luck, although I'm sure you won't need it, hope the weather holds

D

Deleted member 26715

@Fnaar Have you got back yet, not seen any posts from you, did you ride with Ms Goodbody?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi, yeah it was fab! Apart from the hill out of Settle, which was murder. Really good route and ride. Miss Goodbody remains in her seaside retirement home.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I did a hybrid of WOR a couple of years ago. Morecambe to Robin Hood's bay (nr Whitby), taking in some of what was TdeF stage from '14 up Buttertubs etc on Day 2. Supported and staying in Hotel / York univ. Think that was 275 miles over 3 days. Those routes are still on ride with GPS somewhere.

D

Deleted member 26715

Hi, yeah it was fab! Apart from the hill out of Settle, which was murder.
I'm thinking of trying that part in a couple of weeks, if I can manage that then my psyche may get my head around doing the rest

Top Bottom