Route Planning Open Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Most cycle mapping sites/apps use OpenStreetMap which is user-editable, so sign up for OSM and add them!
Just tried that & failed, I wanted to add a track between 2 exiting tracks & no idea how nor can I find help on howto

Aravis

Putrid Donut
My January imperial century, I messed up on the final checks. I'd managed to take the route down a non-metalled road that was too steep to ride down. It was obviously a watercourse in rainy weather and was badly rutted, so it was difficult to even walk down. I was cursing myself.
On the occasion I mentioned, when finalising the route I even remember thinking that I didn't know there was a road there, that's really useful! What a silly blot.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you've created the route (and I don't mean just copied someone else's route) then you'll know where your gadget is taking you.
On 9th March (weather permitting) I'm going to follow a route from somebody on here, I have no prior knowledge other than the .gpx file. I'm currently deciding should I buy the OS map of the area?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
On 9th March (weather permitting) I'm going to follow a route from somebody on here, I have no prior knowledge other than the .gpx file. I'm currently deciding should I buy the OS map of the area?
Go to gpxeditor.co.uk, choose OS mapping (top left), right-click on the map and choose load... upload your file.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've not yet found anything to beat Cycle Travel.
My only (minor) gripe is that it sometimes won't let you drag your route along v minor tracks/ bridleways, so you have to find the nearest road and map that.
I'm currently planning a route for the summer from Dieppe to Hook of Holland and CT is excellent for that.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In the dark days before gps devices I rode an event from Bath which turned at West Bay (I shall let you consult a map to locate this, if you need to). We were following the organiser-provided routesheets, with road-numbers, place-names, and other necessary information for navigation.

At West Bay one person shaded their eyes, peered out to sea, and said, "Shouldn't we be able to see Wales from here?".

johnblack

Über Member
Mainly plot a route and strava, but also ride with gps and cycle streets. For a lot of mountain bike stuff I use the council websites bridleway and byways map, the Northants C.C one is pretty good, but with their budget deficit I'm sure it will be erased one day!

Top Bottom