Route Planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Which Apps/websites do you use for planning rides?

Have tried Ride with GPS which does seem a good platform for looking at the routes and discovering the varying gradients to be encountered whilst out on a ride.

Any preferences apart from just getting out there and riding? :bicycle:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
ridewithgps. Have rwgps as a connectIQ widget on my garmin so any routes I plan can be downloaded directly.

rivers

How far can I go?
I use Komoot and Ride with GPS. I have paid for the full version of Komoot and use the free Ride with GPS

PK99

Legendary Member
Which Apps/websites do you use for planning rides?

Have tried Ride with GPS which does seem a good platform for looking at the routes and discovering the varying gradients to be encountered whilst out on a ride.

Any preferences apart from just getting out there and riding? :bicycle:

Ride with GPS - intuitive to use and great range of maps.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
RWGPS which I use as a paid for version. Komoot from time to time, usually when I need to share with other Komoot users, with one region paid for. I've yet to find a good reason to pay for the full Komoot package.

I keep meaning to try cycle.travel.......

I keep meaning to try cycle.travel.......

you really should, particularly in your neck of the woods - it's great - at times following its routes you can feel that you've stepped back in time so little traffic do you see.

(or gone teetotal - its algorithm has a knack of keeping you away from pubs)

Lots of discussion on this topic accessible by using the search function.

Routes are subjective - what I may like you may not.

You don't say what type of riding you are doing, nor how you will navigate - paper, maps, phone, gps.

My advice would be to try them all, locally, on places that you know and judge for yourself what suits you best.

Be careful in that some have different functionality such as road/mtb etc., some apps change their "free" functionality from time to time and any all-in-one (plan & navigate) apps tend to need internet access to make changes or reroute once moving.

I use most of the apps depending on location and need but trust, favour and highly recommend cycle.travel. I strongly, strongly discourage Komoot but I tend to be in odd places touring.
Each planner will have their quirks.

One app I'd recommend to anyone is Osmand. Clunky with a steep learning curve and not with the greatest planning, it can be a godsend if away from home and need to get to X. It will work offline, store a load of info in points of interest and will work offline. It can be used as a navigator (on the phone) or to transfer the gpx file to a unit.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are these much better than Garmin connect ?

They are all very similar. I currently use Connect with my Edge Explore - I do tell it road or MTB. So far 100% success even if it did mean crossing the A55 on a cattle bridge in Wales - it was passable on a road bike :whistle:. Connect does show routes used by cyclists. I've used most of the apps and they are all good. It's just very easy to sync Connect with my Explore

Yes I'm using the popularity routing and also having a look on Google Street view for bits I want to double check.

It's awful if you have a route that you want to edit though. Usually easier to start over. But that could be me.

Top Bottom