Route Reconnoiter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I spent time on Google Maps today reconnoitering routes for future rides and doing distance measurements.
I like to ride the quiet country roads and usually have my set routes that I know.
I found quite a few new routes to try out later.
What I like is using the street view now and again, especially to have a look at the hilly sections and do virtual rides along interesting sections and looking at junctions.
Anyway it was good fun and I got quite engrossed in it.
Looking forward to finding out how the routes work out for real.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I recently planned a 100 mile ride for myself and some friends, and I found streeview invaluable. It meant I was able to check what the roads were like and memorise the junctions, so I didn't need a map on the day. It was a great ride!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I use it a lot for when preparing route sheets, for checking junctions and signposts. Really useful, but the hilly bits are always much steeper in reality;).

screenman

Legendary Member
I like to ride where I have no idea what is around the next corner, getting harder as I get older because I have seen around so many.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I use it a lot for when preparing route sheets, for checking junctions and signposts. Really useful, but the hilly bits are always much steeper in reality;).

Ha! I fell for that too. Told my mates the first 60 miles were flat. In fact, they included several hills including 2 absolute killers.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I spent time on Google Maps today reconnoitering routes for future rides and doing distance measurements.
I like to ride the quiet country roads and usually have my set routes that I know.
I found quite a few new routes to try out later.
What I like is using the street view now and again, especially to have a look at the hilly sections and do virtual rides along interesting sections and looking at junctions.
Anyway it was good fun and I got quite engrossed in it.
Looking forward to finding out how the routes work out for real.

I often use Google Maps in combination with Bikeroutetoaster (good elevation data) to see what a route may be like.

Radchenister

Veteran
If you like Google Maps, perhaps try Google Earth (downloadable) - you can draw a line over your proposed route and then use the elevation feature to check the gradients.

You will have a saved version and you can use it for graphics to show friends etc.

http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

NibleyElevs_zps9d091d61.jpg

Nibley106_zps0fcba302.jpg

OP
OP
Biker Joe

Biker Joe

Über Member
I often use Google Maps in combination with Bikeroutetoaster (good elevation data) to see what a route may be like.
I didn't know about that one.
Something else to play with. Nice one.
Thanks

Radchenister

Veteran
Just looking at the 'Bike Hike' one, it's very good, probably quicker and easier to plot road routes on it with the snap to road feature - I'll be using both that and Google Earth from now on most likely.

Top Bottom