Route/road suggestions for the East side of Snowdonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marchaugh

Hello Everyone
I'd love some ideas, I am planning to get the train to Gobowen Station on Monday morning and go for a ride in the Snowdonia area (I live in Coventry). I wanted to cycle up the Llangynog climb as I've driven up it and it seems a pretty awesome road. But apart from that, I don't really know where to go. Has anyone got any suggestions of a route or scenic roads to ride in that area? I want to do a loop that starts and finishes at the Gobwen Station and is up to 100 miles. I would love some suggestions on the most scenic or best roads to ride around there.
Thanks
Marcus

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Thanks, I've heard of horse shoe pass but didn't really know where it was.

Sharky

Guru
Bringing back many memories. When I lived on Merseyside, Llangollen was a favourite destination and the Horseshoe Pass. Riding north to south, the climb is much easier and the descent into Llangollen is exhilarating. Have also ridden south to north and it is challenging climb.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sorry i don't have a map to hand for route planning, and I've walked more than ridden in that area..
( My dear departed mum lived in Gobowen for some years)

But you must somehow work in the famous aqueduct as part of your circuit.. Would be improper not to..

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Sorry i don't have a map to hand for route planning, and I've walked more than ridden in that area..
( My dear departed mum lived in Gobowen for some years)

But you must somehow work in the famous aqueduct as part of your circuit.. Would be improper not to..
Ahh yes, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, I have been there, it's pretty awesome, I'll include that on my route. Thanks

OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Thanks for all your suggestions, I've planned this route https://www.strava.com/routes/23027504
I included Pistyll Rhaeadr as I would quite like to see that.
But if you've got any suggestions or comments let me know, but I want to keep it at about 75 miles.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ahh yes, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, I have been there, it's pretty awesome, I'll include that on my route. Thanks

Good, I didn't dare try to spell it without a map to hand :blink:

There a also a small road route up out of the back of Llangollen to a place called 'Worlds end' which then takes you up onto the tops towards (somewhere else unpronounceable) but it's on the Offas Dyke route going North

The scenery up that way is pretty spectacular..

This is from the path, but with the leaves off the trees it should be very visible from the road in the bottom of the valley.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I've planned this route https://www.strava.com/routes/23027504
I included Pistyll Rhaeadr as I would quite like to see that.
But if you've got any suggestions or comments let me know, but I want to keep it at about 75 miles.

Instead of up and down the horseshoe, you could loop off the top of the horseshoe pass (right) and take in worlds end and the panaroma as mudsticks suggests. Come out at Trevor (opposite the aquaduct)

Or (shorter - similar to your current loop) if you come down the horseshoe, turn left near the bottom and work your way across to the panaroma walk / trevor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marchaugh

Marchaugh

Thanks for all your suggestions people, I completed the ride today, it was great. You can see it here https://www.strava.com/activities/2951213973 I didn't get time to go to worlds end but I think I saw it whilst going up horse shoe pass. It was crazily windy, 30mph according to mywindsock.com, had some very scary moments at the top of Llangynog climb and descending horse shoe. The wind also made Llangynog climb and parts of horse shoe feel 10% steeper than they actually were, brutal. Would love to do the same route again in the summer.

Thanks for all your suggestions people, I completed the ride today, it was great. You can see it here https://www.strava.com/activities/2951213973 I didn't get time to go to worlds end but I think I saw it whilst going up horse shoe pass. It was crazily windy, 30mph according to mywindsock.com, had some very scary moments at the top of Llangynog climb and descending horse shoe. The wind also made Llangynog climb and parts of horse shoe feel 10% steeper than they actually were, brutal. Would love to do the same route again in the summer.

Well done. It can be a bit exposed.
If you're into you're climbs, doing the old horseshoe is a good climb. Bottom and top is the same, but it goes straight up, rather than including the loop which lessens the gradient on the new road. Worlds end/panaroma is good, but maybe reverse the direction and do them closer to the start?
One for the summer ... and not forgetting the Old Bwlch Penbarras which is nearby. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bwlch_Penbarras

Top Bottom